Questions about USUHS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SoCalM0, Apr 25, 2002.

  1. SoCalM0

    SoCalM0 Junior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2002
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was accepted to USUHS back in Oct. Since then I have gotten into another medical school and have been waitlisted at severl others. I have not decided exactly which schools of the ones I interviewed at I want to attend. My question is up to what point can I pull out of USUHS. Officer training starts June 16th and the school itself starts August 12th. If I get selected off a waitlist another school in July for example, can I decide to attend that school, eventhough I started Officer Training?
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. dukeblue01

    dukeblue01 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2001
    Messages:
    237
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I am in the exact same situation, and I believe we are held to the May 15th deadline of choosing one and only one school. From the scenario you described I am guessing you will pick USUHS and then hope to get off a waitlist. This is risky. I have already decided not to go to USUHS, to pick MCV and then wait out my alternate status at Emory, UVA and Northwestern with my fingers crossed. The military is stringent so don't take any oaths or sign anything without absolute certainty. good luck.
     
  4. johnM

    johnM Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2002
    Messages:
    403
    Likes Received:
    0
    SoCalM0, so your situation is that you would rather go to USUHS than the other schools that accepted you, but one of the schools where you are wait-listed is higher on your list? That sounds kinda funny to me. :) It seems like most people would either find being a military doc exciting, or a burden, so USUHS would either be a last choice or first choice.

    Obviously you need to decide whether or not you want to be in the military before you join the military, i.e., when officer training starts. I think that if you DO go through OBC, and decide that you don't want to do it, you may get released by USUHS (they don't seem to want people who don't want to be there), but besides being risky, it's also inconsiderate and unprofessional. You really need to decide what you want to do, and for the sake of people waiting desparately to hear from these schools, do it as soon as possible. Good luck with your decision, it also took a long time for me to decide, but I am finally sure that I will start USUHS in the fall.
     

Share This Page