1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Questions about VCU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Apparition, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I looked all over their website and I can't find anything that's unique about it.
    What is their curriculum like? PBL?

Is there emphasis on primary care?

Why would someone want to live in Richmond?

Also, if someone remembers VCU secondary, did it ask what you're doing while applying/year off?

Also, how easy is it to catch a cab from the school to the amtrak station that's not on main street?

Thanks a lot for any input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. madi

madi Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi Apparition,

If you looked over the VCU site and didn't see anything unique about it then it may not be the school for you. However, I can try and answer some of your questions to the best of my ability:

This web site provides some overview of their curriculum, so you might want to check it out: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/curriculum/overview.html
    One thing that attracted me is the variety of locations where you can do your clinical rotations: Richmond of course provides an urban environment, but the school has a full-fledged training program in rural health as well. In addition, the school is very accomodating when it comes to doing international rotations, and will work with you if you want to set up a unique rotation in your area of choice.

Richmond is the capital of Virginia and thus has available a wide range of cultural actitivies, restaurants, and night life to satisfy your tastes. It's also a place with a strong sense of history: the Confederate White House and the Museum of the Confederacy are actually located right next door to the medical school.

No, it did not.

I hope this provides you with some fuel for thought. Good-luck!

4. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks a lot! That was extremely helpful, especially about the rotations.

I still can't find anywhere, though, whether they're traditional or PBL.

5. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

I believe the VCU secondary asked what you were doing during any breaks in your education. So, if you are currently applying and not in school, you will have to write a small blurb about that.

Not sure about the curriculum myself...I should give my cousin a call... ;0

6. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Takin it day by day
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The secondary asks about any lapses in your undergraduate education. I'm not sure if that includes a gap year after graduation or not. (I don't think it does).

7. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

Oh yes, I believe that was the case. I stand corrected!