Apr 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, My name is Kunal and i am going to be a freshman at the University of Kentucky and i will be majoring in biology and pre-med with a minor in business administration. I wanted to know what kind of classes are good to take. And i would also like to know what i should do to be a good candidate.

Thanks for reading and answering my questions!

theWUbear

EM PGY2
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Welcome to SDN Kunal

A couple things: Never say you are majoring in pre-med! You are majoring in biology and you are a premed, or, you are completing the pre-med requirements.

As I'm sure many other people will say, use the search function before posting if you have any specific questions, and be sure to read the "stickeys" at the top of the forum for more general information. By getting a head start learning about the process from SDN, I'm sure you'll do great!

Feb 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, My name is Kunal and i am going to be a freshman at the University of Kentucky and i will be majoring in biology and pre-med with a minor in business administration. I wanted to know what kind of classes are good to take. And i would also like to know what i should do to be a good candidate.

Thanks for reading and answering my questions!
To be a doctor all you have to do is take a few semesters of biology and start volunteering at a hospital. Usually after a year they slap a white coat on you and youre a doctor! Im just kidding. The search function will help you out quite a bit for specific things but since you will just be starting your pre-med career you will definitely want to meet with the pre-medical advisor at your school. They should be able to map out a good plan of action for you with every thing from what classes you should take to extra curriculars. Good luck:thumbup:

Aug 15, 2009
Maryland
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Well I would just suggest starting off by reading any of the 5814083 other threads on the website about this same thing...otherwise you may get replies saying things like:
:troll:

aesculapian

7+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Definitely use the search function. Congrats on college! If you'll be a freshman in the fall, I'm sure there will be pre-med info sessions where your pre-med advisor will tell you what classes to take. Usually it's something like calc, chem (general and orgo), english, bio (obviously), physics..

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
One bit of advice:

Do not take organic chem as a freshman. If you have advance placement credit for intro chem, take some fun electives as a freshman (or take a basic statistics course) and then take o-chem in your second year of college. Why? Because I see far too many freshmen who perform poorly in organic chem and that grade hurts them down the road. You really need a year to get comfortable in school before taking what is often the biggest weed out class in college.

Last edited:

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
You really need a year to get comfortable in school before taking what is often the biggest weed out class in college.
For the love of God, yes! Destroyed far too many intelligent students who could have done better.

Jul 21, 2009
Status
One bit of advice:

Do not take organic chem as a freshman. If you have advance placement credit for intro chem, take some fun electives as a freshman (or take a basic statistics course) and then take o-chem in your second year of college. Why? Because I see far to many freshmen who perform poorly in organic chem and that grade hurts them down the road. You really need a year to get comfortable in school before taking what is often the biggest weed out class in college.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
One bit of advice:

Do not take organic chem as a freshman. If you have advance placement credit for intro chem, take some fun electives as a freshman (or take a basic statistics course) and then take o-chem in your second year of college. Why? Because I see far too many freshmen who perform poorly in organic chem and that grade hurts them down the road. You really need a year to get comfortable in school before taking what is often the biggest weed out class in college.
Good advice, but just something to add...

I placed out of gen chem I so I actually started taking ochem the spring of my freshmen year. I was also taking two other pre-reqs at the same time, so it was a stressful semester. It worked out pretty well for me, not only grade-wise, but also because it put me somewhat "ahead" in my chem major.

I would not suggest taking ochem your very first semester, but it's something to consider if you REALLY think you can handle it your second semester and your other classes won't keep you from dedicating a majority of your time on it.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Also, since you're a biology major, I recommend spreading out your science classes, as in find a nice balance between your science and non-science classes each semester. You don't want to take plant physiology, genetics, ecology, and vertebrate anatomy one semester and then be stuck with all gen-eds your last year.

Aug 15, 2009
Maryland
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, since you're a biology major, I recommend spreading out your science classes, as in find a nice balance between your science and non-science classes each semester. You don't want to take plant physiology, genetics, ecology, and vertebrate anatomy one semester and then be stuck with all gen-eds your last year.
Definitely something you should keep in mind. Try to stay 2-3 sciences per semester and fill out the rest of your schedule with gen eds and electives...

another suggestion...i personally try to avoid the bare-minimum 12 credit semester because that means you will have to work your butt off another semester to make up for it...all of my semesters so far have been 14-17 credits

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
Nov 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
For your very first semester I would recommend not focusing on your premed ambitions. Maybe take one science (with a lab), but if you can get away with none don't take any. Labs take up a lot of your week. First semester, take some fun classes. Some subjects that are interesting to you but you've never been able to delve into. Also, make sure to have some fun.

Other than that, finish your prereqs before you graduate lol.

trep14

MS1
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2009
Status
Medical Student
On the flip side, don't take too many gen-eds in one year, because then you are left with a last semester where you are taking all upper level biology classes like me.