questions for anyone applying to UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATOR Girl

Jenny
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who else is applying to UF. I heard that you must have at least a 70th percentile PCAT score to get in. I also heard that they accept mostly studends who have pre-pharm degress, rather than with a BS. Anyone know?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am. :scared:
I heard most current students have a PCAT above 90.
What do you mean Pre-pharm instead or BS?

usi said:
I am. :scared:
I heard most current students have a PCAT above 90.
What do you mean Pre-pharm instead or BS?

The pre-pharmacy degree is two years of prerequisites. I guess this shows that pharmacy is what the student really wants to do, but I'm not sure. I have just heard that most students accepted were pre-pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
prepharmacy is not a degree program. this is just a track that students take to complete pharmacy entry requirements. UF requires a student to have atleast an Associates Degree, which includes all the prepharm classes as well as history, art, social sciences, etc.

RxFabulous said:
prepharmacy is not a degree program. this is just a track that students take to complete pharmacy entry requirements. UF requires a student to have atleast an Associates Degree, which includes all the prepharm classes as well as history, art, social sciences, etc.

How do you like pharmacy school? Do you have any suggestions about accetance into UF c/o? Were you a UF student before your were acceted?
Thanks!

i was a student at USF. UF doesn't give preference to UF students, but UF students who have been accepted have a higher chance of being accepted to the main campus in gville.

I'd say it's at least 50/50 for those with BS/BA and those with only an AA degree. All the older students seem to have BS/BA degrees and we have a fairly high number of students over 30 in our class. One guy has a PhD in pharmacology.

dgroulx said:
I'd say it's at least 50/50 for those with BS/BA and those with only an AA degree. All the older students seem to have BS/BA degrees and we have a fairly high number of students over 30 in our class. One guy has a PhD in pharmacology.

How do you like the satelite campus? Do you have to give presentations like they do at the Gainesville campus?

GATOR Girl said:
How do you like the satelite campus? Do you have to give presentations like they do at the Gainesville campus?

Our curriculum is identical to Gainesville, except that we are graded harder on our presentations. They have a lot of TA's doing the grading and we have people with something to prove. We used to have nice people, but they are gone. For instance, for integrated case studies last year, I lost 15 professionalism points because I didn't ask enough questions during presentations. This was not done in Gainesville.

dgroulx said:
Our curriculum is identical to Gainesville, except that we are graded harder on our presentations. They have a lot of TA's doing the grading and we have people with something to prove. We used to have nice people, but they are gone. For instance, for integrated case studies last year, I lost 15 professionalism points because I didn't ask enough questions during presentations. This was not done in Gainesville.

You mean you have to ask technical questions to keep the audience involved?

dgroulx said:
Wow that's shocking. Someone really should bring this up to gainesville. This is most definately NOT the case in Orlando. For anyone thinking about applying to distance sites just know that they're not all the same. I do know that we were graded pretty hard for SGD since it was our campus director grading (and she's pretty tough). Good luck to all applying!

usi said:
You mean you have to ask technical questions to keep the audience involved?

The presenter has to ask 3 questions and the audience has to answer. Those were fine. But, if we weren't presenting and in the audience, we had to ask questions to grill the presenter. If we didn't, our grades suffered.

Any thoughts on the Jacksonville campus? That's where I'd like to go, and I haven't really heard much about it. One of my friends from UF is at the St. Pete campus, and I haven't heard her complain much about it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
tennismn said:
Any thoughts on the Jacksonville campus? That's where I'd like to go, and I haven't really heard much about it. One of my friends from UF is at the St. Pete campus, and I haven't heard her complain much about it :)

They have a relaxed, friendly campus in Jax. If you watch the video tapes of their student's performances in pharmacotherapy, they are all having a good time. We are all tense during our classes in St Pete. What year is your friend in? I had no problems during year one and most of year two. Now I hate it.

i agree with you Dana. I've been at the St. Pete campus for only 3 months and it has already made me wish i chose another campus. well...atleast you're almost finish, i have 3 more years to go :scared:

dgroulx said:
They have a relaxed, friendly campus in Jax. If you watch the video tapes of their student's performances in pharmacotherapy, they are all having a good time. We are all tense during our classes in St Pete. What year is your friend in? I had no problems during year one and most of year two. Now I hate it.

What were your stats when you were accepted? More specifically, do you know which sciences they really looked like (probably bio & a&p)? Even more specifically, would you happen to know how much they really consider lab vs lecture?

Thanx

donflo79 said:
What were your stats when you were accepted? More specifically, do you know which sciences they really looked like (probably bio & a&p)? Even more specifically, would you happen to know how much they really consider lab vs lecture?

Thanx

It's been awhile since I applied, so my stats are probably not valid anymore. I had A's in all my math/science prereqs except for a B in orgo II. My PCAT was 98%. I believe they require labs with all the science classes, but I don't really remember. I know I took labs with all my classes, but that was a requirement of my undergrad school.

I really don't know if they place more importance on one class over another.

RxFabulous said:
i agree with you Dana. I've been at the St. Pete campus for only 3 months and it has already made me wish i chose another campus. well...atleast you're almost finish, i have 3 more years to go :scared:

Get ready for some harshness during the next 2 years. Heaven forbid if you laugh or joke around in class. I'm so looking forward to leaving on rotations on February 27th. I might try to switch to Jacksonville for the last 8 weeks of school.

dgroulx said:
What year is your friend in? I had no problems during year one and most of year two. Now I hate it.

She's in her second year. I haven't heard anything bad from her yet. Perhaps I should ask.

dgroulx said:

I'll add another wow to Pam's. Unless they changed the professional deduction for this year (although it was the same for us when when we were taking 1 and you were taking 2) these points were clearly described as a penalty for disrupting the class somehow, not for not asking questions.

imperial frog said:
I'll add another wow to Pam's. Unless they changed the professional deduction for this year (although it was the same for us when when we were taking 1 and you were taking 2) these points were clearly described as a penalty for disrupting the class somehow, not for not asking questions.

That's how it was in the syllabus. Our preceptor was just a bitch. She said that she expected more of us. Students complained to Gainesville, but they didn't do anything about it. She graded us hard on concept maps, power points and presentations. It was hard to get an A.

You are terrifying me. Perhaps I should just put Orlando as my only choice?

jemc2000 said:
You are terrifying me. Perhaps I should just put Orlando as my only choice?

I would put Orlando first, but don't only put Orlando. Getting in somewhere is more important.

UF's application is starting to become a pain. Finished my personal statement for Pharmcas... and just when I thought I was all done typing *BOOM* UF's Personal Profile And Essay. DAMNIT! :oops:

ethyl said:
UF's application is starting to become a pain. Finished my personal statement for Pharmcas... and just when I thought I was all done typing *BOOM* UF's Personal Profile And Essay. DAMNIT! :oops:
Hang in there. There is an end to it.
I think checking to see if they got everything is going to be a pain.
Anybody has gone through that?

Hi. I just found this table on the AACP website.
Table 9: Admission Policies and Practices for Pharm.D. Degree Programs Anticipated for 2006-07
On the Baccalaureate Degree Preferred column, UF has a dot.
So I am assuming that they do preferred applicants that hold a degree already.
Any thoughts? Here is the link for your verification.
http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=693&DID=4747

Has anybody talked with a real advisor from UF about it?
Thanks!

usi said:
Hi. I just found this table on the AACP website.
Table 9: Admission Policies and Practices for Pharm.D. Degree Programs Anticipated for 2006-07
On the Baccalaureate Degree Preferred column, UF has a dot.
So I am assuming that they do preferred applicants that hold a degree already.
Any thoughts? Here is the link for your verification.
http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=693&DID=4747

Has anybody talked with a real advisor from UF about it?
Thanks!

Last year, they had mentioned requiring a 4-year degree to cut down on the number of applicants. As far as I know it is not required, but it could be in the future.

dgroulx said:
You don't happen to be talking about Dr. Ann, are you? The woman is evil.

kellia said:
You don't happen to be talking about Dr. Ann, are you? The woman is evil.

How did you guess?
:laugh:

dgroulx said:
How did you guess?
:laugh:
She was our preceptor for the first two ics sessions this term before dr. alaimo stepped in. she was really harsh. funny thing, i don't think she had any more of a clue about the case studies than the presenters! i guess we're stuck with her next year. there's also a rumor going around that she'll be our instructor next semester too. god, i hope not!!!!

kellia said:
She was our preceptor for the first two ics sessions this term before dr. alaimo stepped in. she was really harsh. funny thing, i don't think she had any more of a clue about the case studies than the presenters! i guess we're stuck with her next year. there's also a rumor going around that she'll be our instructor next semester too. god, i hope not!!!!

You'll have her for ICS during year two. She gets really harsh with that class. We thought that we were all done with her, but then she appeared in skills lab. At least the instructors rotate and we don't get her every week.

With Dr. Ann, don't ever talk or whisper to someone next to you. Don't study other class material. Even when you are looking at the printout of the power point slides, she'll come by and look to see what you are studying. You will lose points by doing these things. Next year, when you make your own concept maps, make sure they are printed landscape (-5 points), have at least 60 circled concepts on them (-5 points), have an equal number of questions for each presenter (-5 points), and have several concepts relating directly to the patient (-5 points). I never got full points on any. Once I miss counted and only had 59 circled concepts on my paper. Another time, I only had 4 lines connecting back to the patient. It's hard to get an A in ICS, which is supposed to be one of our easy A classes.

What is ICS?

usi said:
What is ICS?

Integrated Case Studies. It has several components, part of it is a rotation and part is presentations. For the presentation, you are given an in-depth case. There are groups within the small groups. When it's your turn, you have to design a 15 minute power point presentation and present it. You might have pharmacology of specific drugs, medicinal chemistry, diagnosis or disease state, etc. It's only a 1 credit hour course, which of course takes up about 5 hours of time per week.

dgroulx said:
You'll have her for ICS during year two. She gets really harsh with that class. We thought that we were all done with her, but then she appeared in skills lab. At least the instructors rotate and we don't get her every week.

With Dr. Ann, don't ever talk or whisper to someone next to you. Don't study other class material. Even when you are looking at the printout of the power point slides, she'll come by and look to see what you are studying. You will lose points by doing these things. Next year, when you make your own concept maps, make sure they are printed landscape (-5 points), have at least 60 circled concepts on them (-5 points), have an equal number of questions for each presenter (-5 points), and have several concepts relating directly to the patient (-5 points). I never got full points on any. Once I miss counted and only had 59 circled concepts on my paper. Another time, I only had 4 lines connecting back to the patient. It's hard to get an A in ICS, which is supposed to be one of our easy A classes.
well, at least I have something to look forward to!!! :laugh: :( :scared: