Questions for CCOM students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicfletch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any CCOM students could help me out,

I was recently accepted to your program and loved the school when I was there, I really think it is my first choice but am having a hard time deciding between it and KCOM mainly due to cost of living. My wife and I have lived in Chicago/Illinois before and are aware of the high cost of living in the Downers Grove area but would perfer a two bedroom apartment if we move there that is reasonably priced due to her now bringing in the only income (and being a teacher this will not be much).

Any students willing to shed some light on the costs of living around the school or cost where they live. Apartments, condos or townhomes rent, etc.

Also, I am having trouble recalling from my interview whether CCOM students share their cadavers in anatomy with other groups or if its one group per body.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Cadavers are shared by one group of about 6-7 people. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the arrangement.

Apartments in the area run around $700 for a one bedroom, $800-900 for a two bedroom, although there are a substantial number of apartment complexes in the area that may offer cheaper rates or deals (ie, first month free, etc). You should not have a problem finding a place, but realize that it isn't cheap. Still better than the city though. Good luck with your decision.

Claymore said:
Cadavers are shared by one group of about 6-7 people. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the arrangement.

Apartments in the area run around $700 for a one bedroom, $800-900 for a two bedroom, although there are a substantial number of apartment complexes in the area that may offer cheaper rates or deals (ie, first month free, etc). You should not have a problem finding a place, but realize that it isn't cheap. Still better than the city though. Good luck with your decision.

I think you can find some nice places that are a little cheaper than that in Naperville. There are quite a few students living there. It takes about 10-15 min. to get to campus because of morning traffic and stop lights. But it's really not far at all.

and also, remember there are never more than 4 or 5 people on a cadaver at a time since your group is divided into 3 and only two groups are assigned to be in class at a time.

I find the cost of living here average with other communities. There is a three-bedroom apartment with over 1000 square feet(I think he said 1200 sq. feet), two full baths, formal diningroom, deck and carport for rent for only 1,000/mo. It is the entire top floor of a building on Ogden in Downers Grove. It is above the old DeNiro's Pizza shop.

That's a nice size apartment and a Sallie Mae personal loan would easily cover that.

Naperville probably does have some cheaper places though, plus it has the best downtown around.