Questions for Current Columbia Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernito

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im not a student yet but I am seriously considering Columbia (if they will have me). I am just a little curious about housing....

How is the couples housing in the Towers? Can a couple apply for a two bedroom in the towers their second year? (If they are both students and of the opposite sex?)

Is there a complex that many of the students that live off campus choose to live in? If so, what are the rates?

What could I expect to get with $1000/month near the medical center? $1500/month?

EDIT: I apologize if this isn't the proper forum to ask these kinds of ?s

Members don't see this ad.

There is couples housing, but I hear that not all couples get it. The apartments I've seen are nice enough. I doubt you can get a two bedroom (how icy!). Besides the towers and Bard, there isn't really any standard place. (Columbia also owns the Georgian residence, but that's mostly nursing and a few dentals.) Let's see, there's a website, http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/hshousing/, but I think it's a little out of date.

So are you married? I think you have to provide proof of marriage, or at least have a joint bank account. And then, they would give you a ONE bedroom apt in the towers (after you apply for one).

Tower apartment rent is under $700/mo. We have some classmates who live downtown... they probably pay a little more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinner Doc said:
So are you married? I think you have to provide proof of marriage, or at least have a joint bank account. And then, they would give you a ONE bedroom apt in the towers (after you apply for one).

Tower apartment rent is under $700/mo. We have some classmates who live downtown... they probably pay a little more.
Yes I am married. When I goto the housing site there are different 1 bedrooms listed for couples. What determines which one you get? And have you or any other student seen them? (I saw a 4 bedroom in the towers when I was there interviewing, is it of equal quality?)

Plus can anyone comment on the nearby rental rates?

Bernito said:
What could I expect to get with $1000/month near the medical center? $1500/month?
bump and
Bernito said:
Yes I am married. When I goto the housing site there are different 1 bedrooms listed for couples. What determines which one you get? And have you or any other student seen them? (I saw a 4 bedroom in the towers when I was there interviewing, is it of equal quality?)

Plus can anyone comment on the nearby rental rates?
bump :rolleyes:

My husband and I live in married couple housing and have a one bedroom apartment. I love the apartment but you won't be able to get a two bedroom unless you have children with you. As for another complex, I think people who don't live in the towers live all over the city (depends on what the spouse does for a living, where they work, and affordability).

For $1000 a month you aren't going to do any better than the towers. The apartments in the immediate area aren't as nice (in my opinion) as the towers. I also feel safer in the towers because of the "gaurd." If you have any other questions, you can PM me.

Mind you the $700 is per person so for a one bedroom in Tower I, we pay approximately $1,500. You can get a cheaper one but I think the space in the apartment works well for studying and relaxing.