Questions for Current Dartmouth MPH Students or Recent Acceptees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If you were accepted to Dartmouth's MPH program, what was your Combined GRE Scor

• 1100-1200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1210-1250

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 1260-1300

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Above 1300

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Grabes1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Brian,

Apply apply apply! Yes, school's have "suggested" GRE scores but they are only one part of an application package. GPA, a strong statement of purpose, and good rec's can get you in the door too. You don't necessarily need all of these but a combination that sets you apart from the crowd. While I did not apply to Dartmouth last year (I am a current student at Emory) I had a low GPA (well lower than the average and below the recommended) and I still got in to almost every school I applied to. The same can be said of many other applicants that are lacking one part of the package. If it really irks you there is always the option of taking it again, though depending on what you got that may really not be necessary. Hopefully there will be some Dartmouth people that chime in but I would really not discount your GPA, life experiences, and statement of purpose as a way to get you in. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your encouragement JMM. I really lost some momentum yesterday and it truly helps to hear the stories of others who overcame lower numbers than what is typical for a given instution's program profile. Also, congratulations on your current status as a student at Emory's top ten program. The very fact that you took the time to post here speaks to your suitability for a career in public health. You seem to really care about others which is arguably the most essential element of pursing a medically oriented professsion. Thank you again and I wish you continued success at Emory and beyond!

Respectfully,
Brian

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I wouldn't worry too much about the GRE scores. I was told I should aim for 55% or higher on the quanitative portion and I was below 50%. One school led me to believe that NO ONE would accept me. However, I was accepted to all of the schools I applied to. It is the whole package.
Good luck!
~Jaya

Thank you so much Jaya. Since posting this topic, I've received a lot of support, insight and encouragment from you and others. I can't tell you how much better I feel from yesterday. I definitely have a new perspective on the advent of admission. Do you mind if I ask which schools you applied to? Thanks again!

Respectfully,
Brian

Hi,
I was accepted to Yale, Tulane and UIC. I didn't apply to JHU because they were extremely discouraging due to my low GRE scores but then they emailed and inquired why I hadn't applied. Who knows? (I had previously sent them my resume and the professor who emailed me had indicated that he had just received it (a month later) but I felt like the admissions office didn't give me the time of day.) However, I could have been overly sensitive to their comments but I appreciated that they were forthcoming. It saved me the application cost. The other schools were so helpful and responsive that it all worked out in the end.

I didn't apply to any big state schools like Minn, MI, UW, UCLA, etc. because they seem to have a pretty hard and fast GRE cut off.
Jaya