Questions for current nova students??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey y'all. I have a few questions that you might be able to help me out with

Does nova cover the cost of step I of the comlex exam?

If you want to take the USMLE will nova cover the cost of that???(i'm guessing no:( )

Are there any clinical rotation sites in the ft.lauderdale area?

Does anyone know the pass rate for comlex at nova?

Are they many research opportunities at NOva? Anything in the area of physical medicine or neurology?

I really appreciate all of your help and look forward to meeting you all in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Does nova cover the cost of step I of the comlex exam?

No.

If you want to take the USMLE will nova cover the cost of that???(i'm guessing no:( )

No.

Are there any clinical rotation sites in the ft.lauderdale area?

Tons. Most of the rotations are in the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami region.

Does anyone know the pass rate for comlex at nova?

I don't know the pass rate, but I passed (and that's all that really matters). ;)

Are they many research opportunities at Nova? Anything in the area of physical medicine or neurology?

You can do research in anything you want, provided that YOU have an idea and are willing to see it through. They don't force you to do research, however. But if you come up with a proposal, you'll find plenty of professors willing you help you. I have many close friends who have done some great research that has been presented at national conventions.

Good luck!

I agree with Gregory Gulick... research is there if you want it. You can't just expect there to be attendings salivating waiting for 1st year students to just sign up so you can get published, you will have to find an interest, find a mentor, and begin the research machine...

And about passing for the boards, Greg's right, the only important thing is that Greg passed the boards, the whole class breathed a sigh of relief once he did! (It only took him 8 times!)
Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am a second year at NSU. Though they do not pay for the COMLEX, they do pay for some of the review course which is now taught by Kaplan. It is reduced to only $200 for books and 4 weeks of classes.

As for research, there are quite a few people in my class that are participating in research, including me. The dean hired someone last year for a new position-head of research. They have also brought in Dr. McFee, one of the two DO board certified toxicologist and one of the most published DOs. She is a research/publishaholic. Her whole purpose is to bring $ into the school. She is great and really encourages students to get involved in research.

This year they are having the "first annual NSUCOM poster competition." The top two get an all expense trip paid to New Orleans for the national poster competition for med students.
Check out this website for more info, though limited compared to what is actually available for students, it has a link to give you an idea: NSUCOM Class of 2005

NSU does pay for a masters degree in public health, there is also a DO/JD combo degree available. I know that takes another two years, but I am not sure if it is paid for (doubt it, but who knows).

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
And about passing for the boards, Greg's right, the only important thing is that Greg passed the boards, the whole class breathed a sigh of relief once he did! (It only took him 8 times!)
Q

ROFLMAO How was I supposed to know that the pencil was supposed to be a "#2" ?!? Geesh. I started to suspect that something was awry after the sixth time. :laugh:

Greg-
I think maybe perhaps you got the mnemonic wrong for the boards...

instead of:
"2 months (Step 1), 2 weeks (Step 2), #2 (Step 3)"

Maybe you heard it as:
"2 months (Step 1), take a #2 ON the scantron (Step 2)..."

hey all,

thanks alot for answering my questions...i really appreciate it:D

I was also wondering if any of you have participated in the medical missions to africa or jamaica (or anywhere else for that matter). Do students raise money to attend these missions? Can anyone give me a first hand account of what they are like? If you don't raise the appropriate funds, are they costly?

Thanks again,

peace

I am going on the Guatamala mission at the end of Feb. but I haven't went on any other. Our cost is about $800 without fundraising. The more you participate in the fundraising the less you have to pay. This mission is more expensive than Jamaica, I've heard they paid virtually nothing, but I am not sure about the trip to Africa. I know of classmates that went, but I never heard about the cost.
Sorry I can't give you a first hand account yet, but from all the pictures I've seen and everything I've heard, all of the missions were a great experience. I know I can't wait to go.

HI all, I was reading over dress code, and had a few q's. Are open toed shoes a no-no (considered sandals?even though they can be dressy?). Also are sleaveless shirts also out of the question(You know, the polyester/spandex type that can look nice with nice slacks)? One more, when it is cold outside, do students just have jackets on underneath the white coat, or are students allowed to have them on over the white coat?

I'm trying to prepare, b/c I own alot of relaxed clothes.
Thanks!

Osteoped-

It sounds like you are a female, and the dress code for you is much more relaxed than it is for a male. Males have to wear scrubs or dress shirts/tie... females its not as specific. Open toed shoes are fine, as well as sleeveless shirts. Pretty much as long as its not jeans/shorts/t-shirts, you'll be okay.

And, um, its S. FL... it doesn't get cold outside! J/K. On that rare occasion, many students just put on their white coat, although that doesn't insulate as well as one would think.

Q

BTW, I just stumbled across the 2003 school brochure and it stated:

"In 2001, approximately 92% of NSU-COM students passed the COMLEX examination on their first try."

I think this was the information you were looking for, Kumar.

Quinn,
thanks for filling me in BTW-I sent you a PM-did you get it? Can you also wear scrubs as well? We had to sign this dress code policy sheet and it said "only scrubs for the specific lab time". Is that to be taken seriously?

Osteopeddoc-
WOrking on yoru PM message. Anyways, you need to wear scrubs during anatomy lab, histo lab, and OMM lab. Actually in OMM lab you wear a t-shirt and shorts. In Anatomy lab i usually wore a t-shirt and scrub bottoms.

Q

Scrubs can be substituted for shirt and tie. I only wear a shirt and tie every other friday when i go to IGC. That's the program where we have preceptorships in local doctor's offices. Definitely a plus of Nova considering most med schools you will not see a real live patient until your 3rd year. We were seeing patients in our first month at Nova.