Questions for interns/surgical residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MickeysPet

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting MSU CVM in the fall, and was wondering if there's any soon-to-be or current interns or surgical residents that can give me any information on the selection process, daily routine, plans for research, etc. I know I'm just starting out, but I'd like to get an feel for what's required (gpa, clinical reqs, etc.) in the coming years. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To get an internship you'll need good grades in vet. school, the higher the better.

Also important are good recommendations, especially from clinical faculty. The best way to get those is to bust ass when you get to clinics.

Having some research experience along with publications, abstract presentations can also help. So keep an eye out for any research projects you could get involved with. A lot of schools have summer programs where a professor will hire a student to help with a project between 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd year. If you're interested in a surgery residency, a surgery-oriented project would be especially valuable but anything is good.

Thanks Bill! I was hoping you'd respond...

I've checked out the VIRMP website, and was unclear on publishing requirements. Are case studies submitted for publication considered under the necessary 'research' requirements for the surgical residency? Also curious if there are certain extra curriculars that look better than others...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about research requirements in the residency program description, they're referring to research you do during your residency. ACVS requires a first-author publication of original research related to surgery, and many other specialties have similar requirements. Some residencies have additional publication or research requirements during your residency. You don't really need to worry about that now. In fact, for ACVS the publication can't be more than 5 years old at the time of credential submission.

Also curious if there are certain extra curriculars that look better than others...

To be honest, they're all kinda the same. Everyone is president of this or that club, went on a RAVS trip, mountain bikes and fed the homeless ... yawn.

If you could pick up a Nobel prize along the way that would be good, but otherwise I would do things you really enjoy, not because you think it will look good on an internship/residency application.

If you're talking about research requirements in the residency program description, they're referring to research you do during your residency. ACVS requires a first-author publication of original research related to surgery, and many other specialties have similar requirements. Some residencies have additional publication or research requirements during your residency. You don't really need to worry about that now. In fact, for ACVS the publication can't be more than 5 years old at the time of credential submission.

To be honest, they're all kinda the same. Everyone is president of this or that club, went on a RAVS trip, mountain bikes and fed the homeless ... yawn.

If you could pick up a Nobel prize along the way that would be good, but otherwise I would do things you really enjoy, not because you think it will look good on an internship/residency application.
as you probably already found out i am vet from foreign college.i need some info about curricula that it is needed for internship application.what is that at all?how can i write a good one?any sample?
thanks