questions for interview: dropping out of current masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easyeye123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to look around on the net of people in similar situations but I can't find any, so here it goes...

I'm going to have some DO school interviews in Dec and Jan. However, I'm currently enrolled in a professional masters program for biotech (non-thesis, just taking class so you can get a job in pharm industry). I'm just worried that the ADCOM will ask me about this and if I tell them that I'll drop out from the program in order to attend medical school, will this look very bad? Most threads online are like research based masters or PhDs, will there be a difference?

Some feedback will be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if there is a difference between masters programs in the eyes of admissions committees....I have heard that they definitely don't like it when you drop out of commitments like that...because it shows that you are kind've fickle, and have a history of not finishing things you started. I don't know if it is the same in all cases though...

I'm planning on pursuing a masters degree in Micro and Molecular biology if I don't get accepted. I am also planning on not applying to DO till my masters program will be finished so I don't have to drop out. I really don't think it would be that big of a deal though. You could always tell them you found a stronger passion/drive towards medicine rather than pursing your masters. Try not to display a sense of flaky commitment however.

-kyvaro01

Members don't see this ad :)
Most medicals schools have policies about this. Applicants who are in graduate programs must complete their program before matriculating. They usually require final transcripts, etc. Even if its not a policy at the school you are applying to, it looks VERY bad if you drop out. What will you say to convince them you won't drop our of 'their' DO program?

Good luck!!!

Most medicals schools have policies about this. Applicants who are in graduate programs must complete their program before matriculating. They usually require final transcripts, etc. Even if its not a policy at the school you are applying to, it looks VERY bad if you drop out. What will you say to convince them you won't drop our of 'their' DO program?

Good luck!!!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm just wondering why would they give me interviews in the first place if this is against their policy? are you talking about like a deferred acceptance or they simply just did not see it on my AACOMAS application?

They probably don't know that you aren't planning on finishing.

They just know you are enrolled and pursing a degree. Did you indicate anywhere on your app that you were/were-not in a degree-granting program?

They probably don't know that you aren't planning on finishing.

They just know you are enrolled and pursing a degree. Did you indicate anywhere on your app that you were/were-not in a degree-granting program?

unfortunately I did. However, I was enrolled before I even applied to med schools and take the most recent MCAT. After I receive my MCAT score I was then decided to apply. Medicine has always been the goal for me, and honestly this is just something as a backup in case I don't get into med school. I know this is probably a lame reason/excuse for the interview...lol

Maybe you can state during the interview that even though you enjoy your masters program, it reconfirmed your interest in medicine. Like, having gone the graduate school route, you are now sure that med school is for you...

I think you guys are waaaaay over-thinking this. Just say that you are taking classes just to learn about XY and Z. If they ask, why would you enroll in a program? Say, "I enrolled because it will allow me to take courses that I'm interested in and continue to defer my student loans during the year that I'm applying to medical school, which is where I ultimately want to end up... blah blah." Then say this is also a very good backup for you, because you have "heard" that many who apply to medical school don't get in on their first attempt, so you want to make sure you will have something to show from the two years you could possibly be applying other than a tan and a few hundred dollars that you've saved up from you job as a waiter (or whatever)."

This shows that you are grounded, understand the difficulty of gaining acceptance into medical school, and have thought beyond May of this year if you don't have an acceptance.

If you guys don't believe this works, I did this. Obviously, my reasons were a little different, different jobs, etc.. but that is just a general template. I had no school that gave me any beef about it with the exception of one, and they asked my why I even wanted to take those classes, more than if I will finish the program, etc..

This whole, "Schools look at you like a risk if you don't finish a master's" is a little extreme. I think most schools don't like to cherry pick from other schools programs, which is why there is this stigma of leaving a school mid-program. But admission committee members know how difficult applying to medical school can be, so I doubt many will fault you for not completing a master's. As further anecdotal evidence, I can think of 4 other people off the top of my head that have done this.

Now leaving a PharmD, Dental, or some PhD programs midway through could look really bad, but a masters? I doubt it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you guys are waaaaay over-thinking this. Just say that you are taking classes just to learn about XY and Z. If they ask, why would you enroll in a program? Say, "I enrolled because it will allow me to take courses that I'm interested in and continue to defer my student loans during the year that I'm applying to medical school, which is where I ultimately want to end up... blah blah." Then say this is also a very good backup for you, because you have "heard" that many who apply to medical school don't get in on their first attempt, so you want to make sure you will have something to show from the two years you could possibly be applying other than a tan and a few hundred dollars that you've saved up from you job as a waiter (or whatever)."

This shows that you are grounded, understand the difficulty of gaining acceptance into medical school, and have thought beyond May of this year if you don't have an acceptance.

If you guys don't believe this works, I did this. Obviously, my reasons were a little different, different jobs, etc.. but that is just a general template. I had no school that gave me any beef about it with the exception of one, and they asked my why I even wanted to take those classes, more than if I will finish the program, etc..

This whole, "Schools look at you like a risk if you don't finish a master's" is a little extreme. I think most schools don't like to cherry pick from other schools programs, which is why there is this stigma of leaving a school mid-program. But admission committee members know how difficult applying to medical school can be, so I doubt many will fault you for not completing a master's. As further anecdotal evidence, I can think of 4 other people off the top of my head that have done this.

Now leaving a PharmD, Dental, or some PhD programs midway through could look really bad, but a masters? I doubt it.

wow...mighty moose... I think urs is the best response given the situation!

I had a similar problem. Sadly, I was so scared, I did not mention that I am planning to do a masters in my application. I applied early june/july...at that time I had not started my masters classes...so technically.."it was fine"...i received early interviews...received acceptance call from one school b4 august. so it kind of worked for me....but i wouldn't recommend it. I got into my top two DO choices. I told the schools now ("I decided to join a masters program to further prepare me for medical school" ) and they said that they are fine with me not completing the program :D However if i were to do it again, I would do it the way mighty moose said:)

Good luck!!!

If mine did, they forgot to enforce it...but then again, it's an MPH, and all I have left is the internship that i'm looking to do this summer between OMSI and OMSII so.... I also never formally dropped out, I just didn't enroll in any more classes.