Questions for the Residents of this Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am always reading threads in the Lounge forum, and most Residents are always complaining about their Attending and their work. I would like to know how is Dermatology Residency and what are you basically doing from 9 to 5? I always thought Residency will be the easiest part of your medical career since you're "OFFICIALLY A DOCTOR". I hardly see Derm Residents complaining about their shifts but I am curious on you day to day work and how do you study for your boards?

Yes, I am a measly pre-med but I love learning about a specialty I have a high interest for. Yes, I know I should wait till I get accepted into medical school but I was just wondering :).

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

At most places, clinics will be running from 9 - 5. There are different facets beyond general clinics too including dermatopathology, procedural dermatology, pediatric dermatology, specialty clinics, offsite rotations, etc.

The inhouse time demands might not be so great when compared to other residents but there is significant "out of house" time involved in a dermatology residency. That time may include reading to prepare for the boards, conference preparation, research, journal review, dermatopathology review, etc.

I am always reading threads in the Lounge forum, and most Residents are always complaining about their Attending and their work. I would like to know how is Dermatology Residency and what are you basically doing from 9 to 5? I always thought Residency will be the easiest part of your medical career since you're "OFFICIALLY A DOCTOR". I hardly see Derm Residents complaining about their shifts but I am curious on you day to day work and how do you study for your boards?

Yes, I am a measly pre-med but I love learning about a specialty I have a high interest for. Yes, I know I should wait till I get accepted into medical school but I was just wondering :).

Thank you so much in advance!

At most places, clinics will be running from 9 - 5. There are different facets beyond general clinics too including dermatopathology, procedural dermatology, pediatric dermatology, specialty clinics, offsite rotations, etc.

The inhouse time demands might not be so great when compared to other residents but there is significant "out of house" time involved in a dermatology residency. That time may include reading to prepare for the boards, conference preparation, research, journal review, dermatopathology review, etc.

Thanks for responding :). So you're not on call or anything and what about weekends and if you're doing a procedural surgery that day. When do you take your boards and how long do you have to study for it? The conference preparation is AAD Conference or the Skin of Society Conference. Are there any other conferences out there you can participate in?

How do you get involve in journal review? Lastly, do they have an African-American Dermatology Society or Association organization?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding :). So you're not on call or anything and what about weekends and if you're doing a procedural surgery that day. When do you take your boards and how long do you have to study for it? The conference preparation is AAD Conference or the Skin of Society Conference. Are there any other conferences out there you can participate in?

How do you get involve in journal review? Lastly, do they have an African-American Dermatology Society or Association organization?

to clarify, the conferences he's talking about are mostly conferences and presentations within your own department, and journal review is literally reading dermatology journals to stay up to date with the literature. boards are in july after you finish residency. places do call differently, but it's generally home call (you're on call but don't have to be in the hospital unless there's stuff for you to do) that residents hand off every several days to a week or two. procedural clinics tend to have the same hours as the general clinics, except sometimes mohs can go way later at my institution.

Clinic time varies. I'm doing an away rotation where the residents don't roll in until just around clinic start time which is 9am. They are usually done with clinic by 5 and finish notes by 6 at the latest, often earlier. The residents assigned to the VA here are off Wednesday and Thursday morning for "self study."

At another institution, there are morning didactics every morning from 8am-9am and clinic will run usually from 9am to 430pm with 80% of the residents working at any one time. Therefore at least 1-2 residents will have one or two afternoon/mornings off per week. When they are on call on the weekend, they see 1-4 patients per weekend.

Clinic time varies. I'm doing an away rotation where the residents don't roll in until just around clinic start time which is 9am. They are usually done with clinic by 5 and finish notes by 6 at the latest, often earlier. The residents assigned to the VA here are off Wednesday and Thursday morning for "self study."

At another institution, there are morning didactics every morning from 8am-9am and clinic will run usually from 9am to 430pm with 80% of the residents working at any one time. Therefore at least 1-2 residents will have one or two afternoon/mornings off per week. When they are on call on the weekend, they see 1-4 patients per weekend.

That sounds like a very cushy schedule compared to my program. Varies I guess.

durr

Last edited:
This year I've been to Ultra in Miami, Coachella in California, Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, and I'm going to Electric Zoo in NYC, also just got back from Jamaica, and I fly out back to L.A. once a month. What residents do you know have time to do all that.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Pics or it didn't happen.
durr
IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

durr
IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

Last edited:
durr
IMG_4061.jpg

durr
IMG_4022.jpg

durr

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

Last edited:
durr
SANY0133.jpg

37933_409841518170_764873170_4636353_4258218_n.jpg

60900_436811968170_764873170_5289361_4792042_n.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

698833696206_0_ALB.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Long Dong is easily the coolest derm resident in the history of modern medicine

Is that actually you? For some reason I think you're lying only because I know so many residents who don't even have time for sleep and you're partying. If not, you are a boss.

Long Dong is easily the coolest derm resident in the history of modern medicine

Nice avatar. LD probably has some crazy rapping career on the side.
Long Dong's greatest hits:
"All eyes on Long Dong"
"Picture LD rolling"
and many more.

Is that actually you? For some reason I think you're lying only because I know so many residents who don't even have time for sleep and you're partying. If not, you are a boss.

Dude that's him...buff Asian guy. Geeze...I need to get ripped....

you must be partying it up with your program director to get away with this s&*t
:thumbup: strong work

EDC in Vegas

IMG_4061.jpg

Pool party after EDC

IMG_4022.jpg

Linegrie party before EDC

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

This year I've been to Ultra in Miami, Coachella in California, Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, and I'm going to Electric Zoo in NYC, also just got back from Jamaica, and I fly out back to L.A. once a month. What residents do you know have time to do all that.

rumor has it that a program in ny has multiple half days during the week and isnt even the most cush program in the area. The field is amazing

LD- holler if you need a place to crash in nyc. The derm brethren are always welcome

Last edited:

durr
Nice avatar. LD probably has some crazy rapping career on the side.
Long Dong's greatest hits:
"All eyes on Long Dong"
"Picture LD rolling"
and many more.
durr
rumor has it that a program in ny has multiple half days during the week and isnt even the most cush program in the area. The field is amazing

LD- holler if you need a place to crash in nyc. The derm brethren are always welcome

Last edited:
Pictures supplied, so undoubtedly it did happen.

Also by examining these pictures I can confidently say that you don't have an inguinal hernia.

Great work. What was your USMLE, out of curiosity?

4 shizzle dog I'll hit you up when i hit this event on labor day this year.

[YOUTUBE]azG1lz8ZWps[/YOUTUBE]

looks pretty sick. I'll be in DC for part of that weekend but back home for the rest. Def hit me up..i cant believe I missed that last yr

Dude that's him...buff Asian guy. Geeze...I need to get ripped....

we need more meatheads in derm,

On an unrelated note, just out of curiosity how many derm residents on here moonlight and if so in derm or medicine?

I feel like the Derm thread has the most coolest Residents :) and I am only a pre-medical student. It makes me want to hurry up and start medical school as soon as possible, but I am on a Fulbright Fellowship currently :oops: