Sep 21, 2009
Where ever you want it to be
Status
Medical Student
I am always reading threads in the Lounge forum, and most Residents are always complaining about their Attending and their work. I would like to know how is Dermatology Residency and what are you basically doing from 9 to 5? I always thought Residency will be the easiest part of your medical career since you're "OFFICIALLY A DOCTOR". I hardly see Derm Residents complaining about their shifts but I am curious on you day to day work and how do you study for your boards?

Yes, I am a measly pre-med but I love learning about a specialty I have a high interest for. Yes, I know I should wait till I get accepted into medical school but I was just wondering :).

Thank you so much in advance!

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
At most places, clinics will be running from 9 - 5. There are different facets beyond general clinics too including dermatopathology, procedural dermatology, pediatric dermatology, specialty clinics, offsite rotations, etc.

The inhouse time demands might not be so great when compared to other residents but there is significant "out of house" time involved in a dermatology residency. That time may include reading to prepare for the boards, conference preparation, research, journal review, dermatopathology review, etc.

I am always reading threads in the Lounge forum, and most Residents are always complaining about their Attending and their work. I would like to know how is Dermatology Residency and what are you basically doing from 9 to 5? I always thought Residency will be the easiest part of your medical career since you're "OFFICIALLY A DOCTOR". I hardly see Derm Residents complaining about their shifts but I am curious on you day to day work and how do you study for your boards?

Yes, I am a measly pre-med but I love learning about a specialty I have a high interest for. Yes, I know I should wait till I get accepted into medical school but I was just wondering :).

Thank you so much in advance!

Sep 21, 2009
Where ever you want it to be
Status
Medical Student
At most places, clinics will be running from 9 - 5. There are different facets beyond general clinics too including dermatopathology, procedural dermatology, pediatric dermatology, specialty clinics, offsite rotations, etc.

The inhouse time demands might not be so great when compared to other residents but there is significant "out of house" time involved in a dermatology residency. That time may include reading to prepare for the boards, conference preparation, research, journal review, dermatopathology review, etc.
Thanks for responding :). So you're not on call or anything and what about weekends and if you're doing a procedural surgery that day. When do you take your boards and how long do you have to study for it? The conference preparation is AAD Conference or the Skin of Society Conference. Are there any other conferences out there you can participate in?

How do you get involve in journal review? Lastly, do they have an African-American Dermatology Society or Association organization?

werd

15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for responding :). So you're not on call or anything and what about weekends and if you're doing a procedural surgery that day. When do you take your boards and how long do you have to study for it? The conference preparation is AAD Conference or the Skin of Society Conference. Are there any other conferences out there you can participate in?

How do you get involve in journal review? Lastly, do they have an African-American Dermatology Society or Association organization?
to clarify, the conferences he's talking about are mostly conferences and presentations within your own department, and journal review is literally reading dermatology journals to stay up to date with the literature. boards are in july after you finish residency. places do call differently, but it's generally home call (you're on call but don't have to be in the hospital unless there's stuff for you to do) that residents hand off every several days to a week or two. procedural clinics tend to have the same hours as the general clinics, except sometimes mohs can go way later at my institution.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Clinic time varies. I'm doing an away rotation where the residents don't roll in until just around clinic start time which is 9am. They are usually done with clinic by 5 and finish notes by 6 at the latest, often earlier. The residents assigned to the VA here are off Wednesday and Thursday morning for "self study."

At another institution, there are morning didactics every morning from 8am-9am and clinic will run usually from 9am to 430pm with 80% of the residents working at any one time. Therefore at least 1-2 residents will have one or two afternoon/mornings off per week. When they are on call on the weekend, they see 1-4 patients per weekend.

doctalaughs

15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Clinic time varies. I'm doing an away rotation where the residents don't roll in until just around clinic start time which is 9am. They are usually done with clinic by 5 and finish notes by 6 at the latest, often earlier. The residents assigned to the VA here are off Wednesday and Thursday morning for "self study."

At another institution, there are morning didactics every morning from 8am-9am and clinic will run usually from 9am to 430pm with 80% of the residents working at any one time. Therefore at least 1-2 residents will have one or two afternoon/mornings off per week. When they are on call on the weekend, they see 1-4 patients per weekend.
That sounds like a very cushy schedule compared to my program. Varies I guess.

Jul 25, 2011
Status
This year I've been to Ultra in Miami, Coachella in California, Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, and I'm going to Electric Zoo in NYC, also just got back from Jamaica, and I fly out back to L.A. once a month. What residents do you know have time to do all that.
Pics or it didn't happen.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have Long Dong envy.

Tamahawk

7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Long Dong is easily the coolest derm resident in the history of modern medicine

Noam Chomsky

Removed
Jul 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Is that actually you? For some reason I think you're lying only because I know so many residents who don't even have time for sleep and you're partying. If not, you are a boss.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Long Dong is easily the coolest derm resident in the history of modern medicine
Nice avatar. LD probably has some crazy rapping career on the side.
Long Dong's greatest hits:
"All eyes on Long Dong"
"Picture LD rolling"
and many more.

pupster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is that actually you? For some reason I think you're lying only because I know so many residents who don't even have time for sleep and you're partying. If not, you are a boss.
Dude that's him...buff Asian guy. Geeze...I need to get ripped....

May 7, 2011
Status
This year I've been to Ultra in Miami, Coachella in California, Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, and I'm going to Electric Zoo in NYC, also just got back from Jamaica, and I fly out back to L.A. once a month. What residents do you know have time to do all that.
rumor has it that a program in ny has multiple half days during the week and isnt even the most cush program in the area. The field is amazing

LD- holler if you need a place to crash in nyc. The derm brethren are always welcome

Last edited:

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician

durr
Nice avatar. LD probably has some crazy rapping career on the side.
Long Dong's greatest hits:
"All eyes on Long Dong"
"Picture LD rolling"
and many more.
durr
rumor has it that a program in ny has multiple half days during the week and isnt even the most cush program in the area. The field is amazing

LD- holler if you need a place to crash in nyc. The derm brethren are always welcome

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Status
Pictures supplied, so undoubtedly it did happen.

Also by examining these pictures I can confidently say that you don't have an inguinal hernia.

Noam Chomsky

Removed
Jul 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Great work. What was your USMLE, out of curiosity?

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
May 7, 2011
Status
4 shizzle dog I'll hit you up when i hit this event on labor day this year.

[YOUTUBE]azG1lz8ZWps[/YOUTUBE]

looks pretty sick. I'll be in DC for part of that weekend but back home for the rest. Def hit me up..i cant believe I missed that last yr

Doublecortin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status
Podiatry Student
Dude that's him...buff Asian guy. Geeze...I need to get ripped....
we need more meatheads in derm,

On an unrelated note, just out of curiosity how many derm residents on here moonlight and if so in derm or medicine?