Questions for the step 2 CS (wearing gloves, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sommerwing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from some people that we have to wear gloves for the physicals, is this true? We have osces in our school and that was never required.

Also:
- if we finish the patient interactions early, do we get extra time for patient notes?

- on the notes for DDx, do we need to put pertinent negatives too? Or just pertinent positives.

-in a write up, should we put all information attained? Or just pertinents?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from some people that we have to wear gloves for the physicals, is this true? We have osces in our school and that was never required.

My understanding is you can do gloves, wash hands, or hand sanitizer.

Also:
- if we finish the patient interactions early, do we get extra time for patient notes?

yes

- on the notes for DDx, do we need to put pertinent negatives too? Or just pertinent positives.

I put both

-in a write up, should we put all information attained? Or just pertinents?

I would put as much as you have time for, assuming it's organized

Thanks
fffffffff

Took the exam last week.

You can wear gloves, wash with soap/water, or use sanitizer. I chose to use sanitizer since it seemed the fastest, and that's what I do on clinical rotations. Do it right after you walk into the room and introduce yourself. Clean your steth with an alcohol swab at the same time, you will lose points if you don't.

If you finish early, that time can be used for writing your note.

You can use pertinent positives or negatives if they support your diagnosis. I believe the instructions say "up to 3" differential diagnoses and explicitly states you may not need all 3. There is no limit to the number of supporting evidence items, but I tried to have at least 3.

One thing you must not do is document something you didn't ask, or didn't do. On the exam, this is taken just as seriously as the real world.

I mean no offense, but if you are asking these questions, you really ought to read First Aid and some of the introductory material available on the USMLE site. Good luck.

Last edited: