Questions for UNC dental student or someone w/info about the area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleepless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..

I posted a thread in the pre-dental forum but i think that maybe this is where i should have posted this thread..

i just had a few simple questions...

first what is the parking situation around the UNC dental school? is parking close, far, expensive?? do u park far and take a bus to the school???

also, how much does it cost to rent a 2-3 bedroom house with another person in chapel hill or carrboro?

How much to rent a large one bedroom in either of those locations...

final question....do you think it is good to stay close to the school so that the commute is easy? or live about 15-20 min away and live cheaper...cause i have heard it is def much more expensive to live in chapel hill and carrboro..right?!

Alrighty...please let me know if you guys can answer any of these questions!!!

Thanx!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

OK, let's see if I can help here... I'm sure DcS will also chime in with his opinion at some point.

Parking - Only available if you live 2+ miles from campus, at which point you have to enter a lottery. Grad/prof students get pretty good chances in the lottery, and usually get a spot. All the dental students park at Craige Deck, which is probably about a 1/4 of a mile from the School.

Rent - I live with three other classmates in a 4 bedroom/2 bath apartment about a mile from the school. We pay just over $1600/month (total) for the place, plus utilities. Rent in Chapel Hill is not cheap, and the closer you get to school, the more you'll pay. If you plan on living decently close to campus, I would plan on $400/month (per person) at the minimum, with the maximum being about $600. Of course, if you plan on driving in from a few miles out, then the rent will be cheaper. Last year I paid $325/month (pp) for a 3 bed/2 bath place about 5 miles from school. A decent one bedroom anywhere in CH/Carrboro will probably run you at least $600/month.

Closeness - Living close to the school definitely has benefits, especially when you eliminate that commute at 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM everyday. Rent will cost you more, but the convenience is worth it, IMHO. However, we do have a few people that commute from West Raleigh and Cary, and they've managed to adjust their schedules to get to class on time. I don't think the rent difference is that huge to justify adding an additional 45 minutes to an already long school day.

Just wondering, where do you live now? State student?

Hope this helps!

Thanx for all the input!

i sent you an email....see you this summer =)

if you have any advice at all (or know how to rig the lottery haha :p ) let me know

good luck studying for the boards