questions from a frenetic OT applicant!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lizziehope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking to apply to graduate school for the coming Fall, 2012. Looking through the different websites, I am finding it very difficult to tell the programs from eachother. Is there a way that you can direct my search a bit? All of the programs look wonderful on the websites. Are some programs notably better than others in preparing clinicians??

Also, what GRE scores are most of the schools looking for as a base? I am going to be taking the exam for the first time in a few weeks, and I was wondering how heavily most of the schools base acceptance decisions on these scores. I have a good GPA, and some experience in OT related field. What are most schools looking for in applicants? Do you know what a profile of a "typical" accepted applicant is like?

If you could help me with some of these matters I'd so much appreciate it!! Mostly what I"m confused about is differentiating between the large amount of schools. If you could help give me guidance I'd so much appreciate it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would start at the AOTA website. It lists all schools by state. The best way would be to narrow down your search to specific states that you would like to live for the next 2-3 years. Then go to those schools websites and see what those schools look like. There are many programs out there M.A., M.O.T., M.S., they all lead to the same career just have different focuses (research, clinical, etc.). I would say that above 1000 for the GRE is good, but that was the old test I'm not sure about the new one. Also get as many shadowing hours as you can and in many different settings. Get started soon though because the application process takes awhile, but it worth it in the end. I got into school on my first application round, but many do not, so just stay positive. If you have any questions P.M. me.

I would start at the AOTA website. It lists all schools by state. The best way would be to narrow down your search to specific states that you would like to live for the next 2-3 years. Then go to those schools websites and see what those schools look like. There are many programs out there M.A., M.O.T., M.S., they all lead to the same career just have different focuses (research, clinical, etc.). I would say that above 1000 for the GRE is good, but that was the old test I'm not sure about the new one. Also get as many shadowing hours as you can and in many different settings. Get started soon though because the application process takes awhile, but it worth it in the end. I got into school on my first application round, but many do not, so just stay positive. If you have any questions P.M. me.

I agree with softballje. Start at Aota. Think about the cost as well. Weight how much living the the city/state of the program cost vs. staying in your home state. Find out if the programs are clinical based or theory, if they focus on a particular age group or have a speciality you are seeking. See what you like more. Be flexiable, and keep and open mind. But make a choice of what schools early, so you don't go wasting your time on classes they don't require or you don't miss a vital class they are asking for.

The many schools have a "profile of accepted students" on the department website if you want to size yourself up to other students. I'd say be ready to apply to at least 4 schools. If you can request information packets directly from the school, it'll have more information on the program than you could ever find online.

Just a piece of advice, if you're serious. Set aside a weekend and do some serious research. Make a file/folder/box whatever and put all your OT stuff in it. That way you stay focused and organized, everything you need will be in one place. I'm a super nerd with excel sheets for days, labels and files for days. I think its kept me motivated and sane.

Honestly, I think the best help will come from a practicing OT. Ask someone you shadow or intern with their experience. Let me know if this was helpful.