Questions From A Quarter System School Attendee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joefromdaho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I seem to one of the lucky few who gets to attend the wonderful, yet confusing school system that is a quarter system school.

I just have a few questions about how things line up when it comes to filling requirements that are noted in semesters (which seems to be everywhere).

I've done one quarter of calculus, but they want a semester, am I stuck taking another one even though I will lucky enough to learn more than people just taking one semester? (Also related to that, can one take a quarter of calc and then a quarter of stats? would that work?)

I've taken two quarters of English classes, but will most schools be wanting me to finish off the whole year even though the only difference is that I will end up writing maybe 3 more papers? (related information: I'm taking a lot of writing intensive classes, history/philosophy [my major])

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

You need three quarters to equal two semesters.
It is because one 4.0 unit quarter class only equals 2.7 on the semester system and they count their year as 8 or whatever. So you need three.

So, I seem to one of the lucky few who gets to attend the wonderful, yet confusing school system that is a quarter system school.

I just have a few questions about how things line up when it comes to filling requirements that are noted in semesters (which seems to be everywhere).

I've done one quarter of calculus, but they want a semester, am I stuck taking another one even though I will lucky enough to learn more than people just taking one semester? (Also related to that, can one take a quarter of calc and then a quarter of stats? would that work?)

I've taken two quarters of English classes, but will most schools be wanting me to finish off the whole year even though the only difference is that I will end up writing maybe 3 more papers? (related information: I'm taking a lot of writing intensive classes, history/philosophy [my major])

Thanks for any help with these questions.

I think it all depends on schools, but I would highly recommend to take 3 calculus courses and 3 english courses. I know it seems little frustrating but it will make your life so much easier.
For stat class, I took it in addition to 3 calculus classes... as far as I can remember, for some schools you can use stat to fulfill the 1 year requirement for math.

Always better to be safe and take more classes than finding out later about missing classes. Good luck!

I think schools that want 2 semesters of calc want the standard 1 sem of differential and 1 semester of integral. At my current school on a semester system, these are the first two semesters. At my previous shool on the quarter system, this corresponded to the first two quarters. The third quarter was "Calc of several variables". This was the third semester at my new school. So, my first school had accelerated calc (in fact, my new school does have an "accelerated" calc series that compresses the 3 semesters into 2, making it match up with my quarter system.)

So, I would say that if you get differential and integral calc in 2 quarters, the school will likely accept it. The only one I can think of that requires 2 semesters is Harvard HST. Give them or other schools you're worried about a call to find out the official policy.