Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Questions from an older student

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jbdvm, Aug 10, 2000.

1. jbdvm

jbdvm New Member

Hi all. Any older students out there that have taken the MCAT many years after their undergraduate work? I am especially interested in how you prepared. Did you retake core sciences or concentrate on the MCAT prep courses? Has anyone prepared by going through textbooks on your own(chem/organic/physics/etc.)? Thanks. And direct emails are welcome.

Jim

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GeoLeoX

GeoLeoX Ancient

Attending Physician
    I took the MCAT about 9 years after graduation. I found the Kaplan study materials to suit me the best. Rather than going back to textbooks (ugh!), the commercially available study materials organize the topics necessary for the MCAT into one book. You may decide that the Princeton style suits you, or maybe one of the others. The bottom line is that you may get many opinions. You will have to determine which is best for you. The best part about any study guide will be the full-length tests. Make sure you get a study guide that allows you to take a simulated test.

You may also consider one of the Kaplan (or Princeton) prep courses. Since I have not taken one I can't comment on the quality of teaching. It's also probably cheaper than retaking courses and it's tailored to the MCAT. You will be taking real tests under real test-taking conditions. You will be able to get feedback and support from instructors and others. I was able to motivate myself sufficiently that I studied on my own (I also couldn't afford the classes).

Hope this helps,

Geo

[This message has been edited by GeoLeoX (edited 08-10-2000).]

4. MNgirl

MNgirl Junior Member

I graduated 4 years ago and had taken math, physics, and biology about 7 years ago. I decided that instead of paying $1200 for a prep course, I would spend money on 2 or 3 really good prep books. Also, I bought a few of the old MCATs put out by AAMC to practice on and I took as many other practice tests as I could. If you are self disciplined, you can do it on your own. I was pretty happy with my scores and would not study any differently if I had to do it over.

5. abbeydesert

abbeydesert Senior Member

I took the August 1999 MCAT five years after earning my undergrad in 1994. I signed up for a summer course in physiology and started studying for the MCAT in early June. I mainly used Kaplan's big thick review book, along with the AAMC practice tests and a few other items I bought at the bookstore. Spent maybe $150 total. I studied at least eight hours every single day, more on weekends- and found that taking the physiology class actually helped me review a lot of the biology, as well. Scored 11P and 13B, so it worked!

6. jbdvm

jbdvm New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. That is encouraging. With my current career(veterinarian), going back to take classes would be nearly impossible. But I do have the motivation to apply myself in self study. I wasn't sure if adequate detail could be gained through the home review methods.

Jim

7. Medic1895

Medic1895 Junior Member

I studied my textbooks for about 3 mos and then moved to various review books. Last, I did all the AMCAS sample tests. Took about 12-14 smaple tests overall - it is more important to learn about the test - it really isn't that hard once you figure out what they are asking.

7 yrs post BS
    35 on MCAT
    going to Jeff

8. bullyman

bullyman Junior Member

I am an older student as well. If you can honestly study on your own, then do so. You will have to study on your own if you take the Kaplin course. I took the Kaplin course. The classroom work helped with strategy and endurence, but not much with content. The test is long and is tiring. Take some full-length practice tests that are on paper and time yourself! Learn the format of the test (it is always the same).

9. skibum

skibum Member

hi jbdvm,
    I am actually in the process of trying to decide between med school and vet school. Would you mind sharing some info with me as to why you are leaving the vet profession? I don't want to clutter up the forum with info others aren't interested in, so would you mind emailing me?
    [email protected]

Thanks!