Questions in the day, Material at night?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The kitchen sink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like when I do questions (Uworld) at the end of the day, I am mentally gassed. Has anyone tried doing questions in the day when their 'fresh' and then studying FA/Pathoma or whatever at night afterwards?

thanks for the suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like when I do questions (Uworld) at the end of the day, I am mentally gassed. Has anyone tried doing questions in the day when their 'fresh' and then studying FA/Pathoma or whatever at night afterwards?

I have always done block of uworld at night around 6pm and then gone over them. Doing questions itself at night is not bad but when times comes to review then, it's excruciating. Takes me longer than normal. Recently I have started doing questions first thing in the morning and then review them in evening. It has been working well and I can finish reviewing them in 90 min ( 46 q). You should try it.

Have you thought about spending one entire day to review a system with FA, pathoma, pharm videos, etc., then spending the next day doing questions on that system then reviewing the answers thoroughly.

I do my Qbank questions in the morning, which seems to put me in the minority I guess. I prefer to do them in the morning. I figure that I will be taking the exam in the morning, so I better be ready to tackle questions first thing in the morning. I used the same approach with the mcat. It has worked just fine for me, although I have noticed on those mornings where you're dragging a little, that first block of questions can be a little rough until the caffeine kicks in. :cool:

I guess it depends on your study approach. I did a fairly extensive review of everything prior to my dedicated study time, so my main focus is on Qbanks. I'm doing ~3 blocks of 46 questions every day, which means a lot of time spent on questions obviously. Then I am re-reviewing everything in the evening with other sources like GT, Pathoma, FA, etc. It sounds to me like you might reviewing a subject, and then doing questions on them in the evening? If so, you could always just shift that over, so you study something in the afternoon and the next morning do questions on it.

I don't think it will hurt you to do questions in the morning though, and if you're more focused when you do them and review them, then it may help you more. Plus, if you're starting to get fatigued in the afternoons and that's when you're doing your reviewing, then you can just throw on a video review like Pathoma and do something a little more passive and just listen while your brain recovers somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe you should try taking a break mid-afternoon/evening? I usually start around 8:30/9:00 AM in the morning and just read/watch videos/look at Pathoma/etc. up to about 6 PM. Then I hit up the gym, grab dinner for 2 hours. 8-11 PM I usually do a few blocks of 10-20 questions in the area(s) I studied that day. Then do a 46 random block to end things.

I go fast on questions and reviewing. And yes, I'll admit that it can get tiring. But I think the 2 hour exercise break is always a good reboot for the day.

While questions are important, I've actually come to the conclusion that (at least in your last few weeks of studying)....the majority of your day should be spend memorizing and integrating/reading from First Aid. Acing Random blocks will be more important too. This is what the test is anyway.

Yeah OP I am doing a uworld block in the morning because i also noticed extreme fatigue at night answering questions and then i wouldn't get much out of reading the answer choices due to burn out. My alternative method I may try is a mid day block so I can get material in early, hopefully beat that mid-afternoon lag I get and finish up in the evening w new material.

I usually do questions around the middle of the day, sort of as a halfway point for my studying.

thanks for the replies guys, I am going to try this new approach of doing questions in the morning, i do random sometimes and sometimes based on what i am studying. i think ill stick to doing subject based question sets and then slowly convert to completely random... class is finally over so now i can conc on boards... how exciting =\