Questions: Match / Post Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation: lets say i rank 10 programs and i match my 10th ranked program. I know that I'm technically supposed to report to my match and that I'm supposed to only rank program that i reallllly want to go to.

Am I allowed to turn down the match and apply to schools with open spots post match?

Members don't see this ad.

i have a different question, if i dont match, can i contact programs with unfilled positions that have not offered me interviews? or unfilled positions at program A are limited to interviewed applicants at program A?

Hypothetical situation: lets say i rank 10 programs and i match my 10th ranked program. I know that I'm technically supposed to report to my match and that I'm supposed to only rank program that i reallllly want to go to.

Am I allowed to turn down the match and apply to schools with open spots post match?

No. If you are not interested in a program DO NOT RANK THEM. Simple as that.

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
Turning down a matched position and trying to gain entrance to an unfilled match position at another institution can cause yourself and the institutions a lot of problems. Only rank places you really waqnt to attend.

After the match, if you have not been offered a spot, it is okay to contact any program with unfilled positions.

i have a different question, if i dont match, can i contact programs with unfilled positions that have not offered me interviews? or unfilled positions at program A are limited to interviewed applicants at program A?

not at all, you can contact them :thumbup:

what are the chances for open spots for ortho - postmatch?

According to match homepage, they have 7 unfilled position out of 267 (if I am not mistaken) positions given across the country.