Questions on committee letter, and asking professor for letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rollingstone27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can help me answer a few questions:

1. I just wanted to make sure of the workings of the committee letter. If my premed advisor collects my letter of recs, compiles it in a packet, and sends it along with a committee letter to all of the schools I applied to, then I just have to list “committee letter” on my AMCAS, and nothing else right? I wouldn’t have to list my individual letter writers?

2. Would the admissions committee raise any concerns if my non-science professor’s letter of recommendation is not turned in as a part of the committee letter packet provided by my university?

3. I need help on appropriately requesting a letter of recommendation to my sociology professor to fulfill my non-science requirement. I am in this last-minute situation because I only recently found out that a fair number of schools require a letter from non-science professor.

.What is the most appropriate way to tell her that I need a letter within three weeks? Should I even mention my motive for asking her, that she is my last resort to meet the pre-requisites of some schools? I am a bit concerned because I had her for only one class, in which I could have done better to stand out and connect with her. Also, I missed the A by a few points.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that in lieu of the typical letter requirements (i.e., the two science, one non-science mix) most schools accept just the committee letter. In other words, if you submit a committee letter you do not have to follow those requirements (usually). As an example, I submitted my app with only a committee letter that included two "science" LORs with the committee letter and no "non-science" LOR. You should check with individual schools to see if you actually need that letter. My guess is that it won't be strong based on what you've said, so you probably want to avoid using one from this professor if possible.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that in lieu of the typical letter requirements (i.e., the two science, one non-science mix) most schools accept just the committee letter. In other words, if you submit a committee letter you do not have to follow those requirements (usually). As an example, I submitted my app with only a committee letter that included two "science" LORs with the committee letter and no "non-science" LOR. You should check with individual schools to see if you actually need that letter. My guess is that it won't be strong based on what you've said, so you probably want to avoid using one from this professor if possible.

(sent from my phone)

This is news to me, so I just wanted to clarify. If my pre-med advisor writes a committee letter, I don't have to fulfill the one non-science letter of recommendation requirement of some schools? I can hand my advisor three LORs from science professors and I will still be good for schools that require a non-science letter?

Do you happen to know which school allows this so I can go to the website and see it for myself? What exactly is in the committee letter that makes it good enough to by-pass a non-science LOR requirement?

Committee Letter covers all requirements for your letters of reference at most schools.

Some require additional letters (DO requires a letter from a DO, for example), and some just suggest it (Harvard suggests you have a letter from every PI).

At my school, there is a committee letter. My advisor told me that all that he needs are at least 2 science LOR...a non science is not required- and he said that the schools will just accept the committee letter

This is news to me, so I just wanted to clarify. If my pre-med advisor writes a committee letter, I don't have to fulfill the one non-science letter of recommendation requirement of some schools? I can hand my advisor three LORs from science professors and I will still be good for schools that require a non-science letter?

Do you happen to know which school allows this so I can go to the website and see it for myself? What exactly is in the committee letter that makes it good enough to by-pass a non-science LOR requirement?

Yes, if your school provides a committee letter, you are typically "good" with just that letter. This is true at every medical school I've seen. The committee process varies from institution to institution, so you should ask your pre-health office for more information.

So if your doing a committee interview and they have all of your letters then you do not have to list each letter individually in AMCAS. Is this correct?

I listed it as a committee letter. I thought the letter packet was when they did not write you a letter of recommendation but distributed your letters for you?