questions on H4 to F1 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lebelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

can anyone answer these questions for me pls..

1.Is it difficult to get loans if one changes from h4 to f1?

2.Will the rate of interest varies depending on whether one is on H4 or F 1 visa ?

3.Can one start off the school with h4 visa and then if required can change over to f1 ..say in the next year?
or is it better that one changes to f1 from the start?

4.How long does this process of changing from h4 to f1 takes?

pls put in what ever you know.

Thanks ahead
lebelle

Members don't see this ad.

Probably your first two questions will find more answers in the FinAid forum.

hey lebelle....

even i am in the same shoes with the same doubts .. wish sombody who is more experienced could giv som answers.........
:confused: ................

cods

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks meggs .....I 'll try my luck in the fin aid forum

lebelle

Hi Rajkang,

I am on a H4 visa & my green card is in process. I was also in a dilemma whether to change from H4 to F1, but from your post i understand that it will not be easy when one has a green card process under way! Could you please explain why I will have problem in changing to F1 in such a situation?

thanx

Originally posted by opal
....Could you please explain why I will have problem in changing to F1 in such a situation?.....

Opal, somewhere I heard an inmigration expert talk about this. I don't remember very well, but what she was trying to explain is this:

* A student visa is a non inmigrant visa, which means you supposedly want to return to your country.
*When you file for a student visa, they'll notice on your record that you have also filed for a green card, which is for permanent inmigrantion purposes.
*So automatically your green card petition contradicts your non inmigrant student visa petition. And thus confirming the US government that you DO want to remain here. So by filing a student visa, you have been pretty much lying to them, or so they seem to beleive.

This is what I think I remember that lady say, I'm not 100% sure that this is the right reason. But it does make sense......

Upon a google search a long time ago I found numerous inmigration websites, I asked questions and they email me back with the answer. You should try that too, 'cause is cheaper than going a hiring a lawyer. Just an idea.......

Hi meggs & Rajkang,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I now feel that i would stick on to my H4 until my G.C is cleared not to put myself in more troubles. And rajakang, i would definitely try to get legal advice as well, as you had suggested career comes first!
thanx once again

Thank u so much rajkang and meggs !

Alas somebody answered my q's !
:clap:

thanks again
lebelle

Hi,

Can one continue to study on a H4 visa ? If yes what are the advantages over a F1 or disadvantages.

yes, you can enroll into the program with your h4 visa. but ppl want to change to f1 in order to save more time for H visa. the total time of H visa is six years no matter h1 or h4. you can renew it but it's just too much trouble and risky. you don't want to go there. if you can get your green card before your H visa expires, then you can stay on h4 for your study at school. otherwise, change your visa to f1 would be safer.

For changing the visa from H1 or H4 to F1 , do we have to go to India (US embasssy) to get F1 or will that be processed here.
Thanks

When you join schoool its upto you that you have to be on H4 or get converted to F1.
If you want to change your status from H1 or H4 to F1, school will provide you I-20, based on that you have to submit all the required information to the INS or UCIS, once approved you have two choices
1) Stay in this country without having visa stamping on your passport - this is legal when you have appropriate paperwork until the date specified on I-20.
2) Going for stamping either to Mexico, Canada, India or some other country.

hope this helps.

Thanks,
VA

Well, I agree to what this says. However, there is a gliche here. If I am on H4 wanting to move onto an F1 visa and have filed I-140 under green card process, My name would not appear in the list because my spouse has filed the greencard. Howeve if I have crossed that stage, then yes my name appears too.

So make a note of that , If you havent passed that stage , you should be fine.

Opal, somewhere I heard an inmigration expert talk about this. I don't remember very well, but what she was trying to explain is this:

* A student visa is a non inmigrant visa, which means you supposedly want to return to your country.
*When you file for a student visa, they'll notice on your record that you have also filed for a green card, which is for permanent inmigrantion purposes.
*So automatically your green card petition contradicts your non inmigrant student visa petition. And thus confirming the US government that you DO want to remain here. So by filing a student visa, you have been pretty much lying to them, or so they seem to beleive.

This is what I think I remember that lady say, I'm not 100% sure that this is the right reason. But it does make sense......

Upon a google search a long time ago I found numerous inmigration websites, I asked questions and they email me back with the answer. You should try that too, 'cause is cheaper than going a hiring a lawyer. Just an idea.......

friends can anybody tell me about changing visa from h4 to f1.Im on h4 and we have not filed for greencard yet.Its our 4 th year in usa.I think i should definitely change to f1.Considering present situation in usa,will my changing to f1 would be better or should i stay on h4.

friends can anybody tell me about changing visa from h4 to f1.Im on h4 and we have not filed for greencard yet.Its our 4 th year in usa.I think i should definitely change to f1.Considering present situation in usa,will my changing to f1 would be better or should i stay on h4.
H4 to F1 is easy. The school you are accepted in will help you with the paper work...no worries.
Changing depends-- have you not started the green card process at all? Or are you in some stage or the other. If it is the latter, you should consult with your lawyer also.

Thank you La Fea,
I havent started green card process at all.