sarahl86

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Muurland
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I am looking into funding options through the Navy for medical school...already met with a recruiter who seemed very eager to have me in the program but I still have some more questions and want opinions as well.

- Is a history of depression (well managed with medication) going to disqualify me from commission?
- Individual Ready Reserve (I think...) - what is entailed with that?
- Overall experiences? I plan on pursuing a civilian residency if I accept a commission but don't know what to expect from working in Navy medicine

Thanks!

BigNavyPedsGuy

10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So I am looking into funding options through the Navy for medical school...already met with a recruiter who seemed very eager to have me in the program but I still have some more questions and want opinions as well.

- Is a history of depression (well managed with medication) going to disqualify me from commission?
- Individual Ready Reserve (I think...) - what is entailed with that?
- Overall experiences? I plan on pursuing a civilian residency if I accept a commission but don't know what to expect from working in Navy medicine

Thanks!

I would recommend spending some time reading through this forum - especially the stickies at the top. There is a lot of dense stuff, but you can find a lot of info there too.

Your questions
-Probably not
-IRR (usually) doesn't mean much except you're technically in the military
-By joining you forfeit your right to civilian residency. It's the Navy's decision whether or not you do a civilian residency and usually the answer is "no".

Like I said, read through the stickies, try to inform yourself. Feel free to PM me with questions.

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would recommend spending some time reading through this forum - especially the stickies at the top. There is a lot of dense stuff, but you can find a lot of info there too.

Your questions
-Probably not
-IRR (usually) doesn't mean much except you're technically in the military
-By joining you forfeit your right to civilian residency. It's the Navy's decision whether or not you do a civilian residency and usually the answer is "no".

Like I said, read through the stickies, try to inform yourself. Feel free to PM me with questions.

True.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.