Questions--Please Help!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Boris, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Boris

Boris Junior Member

Hey Guys,

My name is Boris and this is the first time that I am posting a message here. I have been accepted to LECOM for the graduating class of 2006 and for now I think that's where I am going. I do however have some questions to ask and if these questions have been asked and answered before I apoligize. Here are my questions:

1) Some people claim that if one does not get into an MD school in the United States that it is better to go away to Granada (St. George) and get an MD there instead of going to a DO school here. They claim that even Granada MD is more respected than a DO. I personally think that MD is not better than DO, in fact I think that DO offers more. I would be very grateful to hear what some of your opinions are.

2) This question is more for 2nd and 3rd year studetns. Are there a lot of differences between COMLEX and USMLE? Also, does it take a lot more time and energy to get ready for both tests than it is for one? Because I am from New York and Osteopathic medicine here is not as big yet as it is in other states such as PA, I feel that by taking both tests will give me more options for residency.

I appreciate all the feedback and opinions that I can get back. If anyone wants to email me you're welcome to do so. My email address is [email protected]

Regards,
    Boris

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bobo

bobo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

1.) DO. Don't even think about the beach schools.

2.) Preparation for the two tests is essentially the same except for the osteopathic-specific portions of the COMLEX, which are covered quite well in several review books - most notably the blue one by savarese, about 100 pages long. Taking both tests is wise if you are unsure as to your future plans.

bobo

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Go to the International forum, click on page 2, and read the following three threads:

DO vs. SGU

IN RESPONSE TO THE DO vs. SGU POST

Ross vs. DO School

Sorry, I don't have the time to link to them, but you'll see them. They should prove helpful to you.

5. njdocDO

njdocDO Member
    7+ Year Member

Ditch the offshore schools. Respectable med schools shouldnt have to recruit for students. If you're even contemplating a foreign degree vs a domestic degree, you havent done your homework and researched medicine and the future of medicine enough. For all intense and purposes, DO = MD everywhere in medicine except bulletin boards such as these and premed clubs in undergrad. Dont succumb to some premed "expert" who claims otherwise. MD schools are decreasing in number. DO schools are increasing in number. DOs learn all the same stuff, take the same classes, plus learn OMM..another tool in the bag. Do with it what you will.

It's funny how in many of these allopathic forms MDs will be very quick to jump all over OMM and it's faults, but at the same time, these MDs will refer their patients to a physical therapist who will perform the same exact musculoskeletal technique I can in my office someday. Somehow OMM is for quacks but PT is okay, when many of the foundations of PT were taken from OMM.

As far as the tests, the COMLEX is also going to incorporate a clinical skills portion into it in the next year, so you'll probably have to take that. Most people dont see it as much of a problem though, for DO students are usually more used to touching people and such. Take the USMLE if you dont know what you want to do though as this will shut up any critics you may encounter someday.