DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
Using sight beyond sight...
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
...so might as well answer mine, please.

1) LORs: Most schools require 3 but some say you can send more. I was just planning on getting the 3 but will I not be "as cool" as the other kids who send in more? Should I go searching for a couple more writers as to keep up with all the other applicants or are most of you guys just planning on using the basic 3 as well?

2) Secondaries: I hate the question "Is there anything else you would like to tell the admissions committee". What comes to mind is "No, not really" but I feel like everyone else is going to have profound answers to this question. I know this is my opportunity to be like "hey, my grades are like this because my dog died" or "I worked 40 hours a week to support my family while going to school" But I just don't have answers like that and I don't want to ramble about stuff I already wrote in my PS. Is it bad if I leave this question blank or should I think up SOMETHING to write like "golly gee, I would love to go to your school....etc."

Thanks guys. You ARE my pre-med advisors.

BubbleBobble

Where's the "any" key?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
DrThom said:

1) LORs: Most schools require 3 but some say you can send more. I was just planning on getting the 3 but will I not be "as cool" as the other kids who send in more? Should I go searching for a couple more writers as to keep up with all the other applicants or are most of you guys just planning on using the basic 3 as well?

2) Secondaries: I hate the question "Is there anything else you would like to tell the admissions committee". What comes to mind is "No, not really" but I feel like everyone else is going to have profound answers to this question. I know this is my opportunity to be like "hey, my grades are like this because my dog died" or "I worked 40 hours a week to support my family while going to school" But I just don't have answers like that and I don't want to ramble about stuff I already wrote in my PS. Is it bad if I leave this question blank or should I think up SOMETHING to write like "golly gee, I would love to go to your school....etc."

Thanks guys. You ARE my pre-med advisors.

1) If you have to search for more letters, you probably shouldn't submit them. Only submit extra letters if you're sure they'll add to your package.

2) They all asked me this. If I didn't have something on hand right away, I'd reiterate the most important reasons why I wanted to be a doctor and confidently tell them that I would be a great fit at their medical school (and give reasons why).

BubbleBobble

Where's the "any" key?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
My bad. I thought #2 was about interviews. On secondaries, find something that you haven't touched on, and mention it.

About the Ads

calcrew14

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
DrThom said:
1) LORs:
2) Secondaries:
You ARE my pre-med advisors.

1) Thanks for not seeking an advice on how to get by with only 2 LORs.
2) Use the space to let them know that you will sue them for a malpractice if they don?t let you in. Also tell them that in case they let you in, you will hold them liable for any harm you consequently inflict upon the profession and/or patients. Don?t forget to touch the statement up with this smileytoo::smuggrin:

How do you like this BUMP by one of your pre-med advisors?

Syranope2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2004
Colorado
Status (Visible)
1) 3 is plenty. you don't need more. only get more if there's actually four people that will say different things about you, that have observed different parts of your life, extra-curriculars, etc. no one will look down on you if you only have 3.

2) i never had much to say for these, either, but i felt bad about leaving them blank. i think i found one of my extracurriculars that i kind of brushed over in my ps but that was pretty important to me. i went into more detail about how it shaped who i am and how it encouraged/prepared me to enter a career in medicine. it sucks to have to write another mindless essay, but you probably shouldn't leave it blank, even if it is optional.

mooklyster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
The best advice my advisor gave me in response to question 2 was finding a polite way to say "nope, if I thought it was important I have pretty much included it somewhere already. I did that as a lark on four secondaries and am now attending one of the schools where I did it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.