• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

questions regarding letters of recommendation

zellyen

Jul 21, 2009
Hi new to SDN here,

my questions relate to the letters of recommendation.
1. my sister is pre-optometry and she says that one of the letters that they need should be from a volunteer supervisor position. now, i have done volunteer work but it is mostly shadowing and helping out in a dental clinic. but she says that doesn't count as it counts towards the "dentist" portion and doesn't really show off well-roundedness (if that makes any sense) is this true?

2. i checked a lot of requirements for the schools and no where do they say they need a letter from a volunteer position. Instead, i see schools requiring 2 to even 3 science professors' letters. What I want to know is, what is the general case here?

and sorry if i don't type in caps and punctuate correctly or what not, this isnt the SATs lol

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't know of any dental schools that require a recommendation from a volunteer supervisor. There are dental schools that do require a recommendation letter from a dentist, which you can possibly get from the dentist you shadowed. Generally, most schools will require recommendations from 2-3 science faculty , a general dentist, or a non-science faculty member. Shadowing and volunteering in a dental clinic is the right thing to do, and it definitely goes toward your dental experience.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.