Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Questions regarding race on AMCAS and TMDSAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by eb53, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. eb53

eb53

Pre-Medical
    So just wanted some quick feedback on your thoughts on what I should put for my race on my applications. I don't mean to start any fiery arguments and if anyone takes offense, I apologize in advance. :)

Anyways... so both of my parents and their parents and well for several generations have been living in Africa. My dad is from Uganda who came to the US in the 70's and mom is from Kenya who came to the US after marriage in the 90's. Im born in the US and my skin color is not of black origin.
    I've read so many threads talking about this but there are just so many different opinions out there so I decided to just make my own.
    Thoughts anyone?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Gold Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
  4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Faculty
    The US Census definition of Black/African American, "A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "Black, African Am., or Negro"; or report entries such as African American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian." So, if you have your origins (let's say where your ancestors lived 700 years ago) in Africa and you are of one of the black racial groups, then you would self-identify as Black. If your people originated in Europe, North Africa or the Middle East you would list yourself as White, if your people were from India, you would list yourself as Asian.
    http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_RHI125212.htm

How did you self identify in the 2010 US Census?

Reckoner, bluespoon and bonnie12 like this.
  5. shiftingmirage

shiftingmirage 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you took standardized tests like ones administered by the state, the SAT, the ACT, were you asked your race? What did you put then?

6. HeyNapkin

HeyNapkin

Medical Student
    You're not black and you don't qualify for URM.

7. masaraksh

masaraksh 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The standardized test in this case happens to be one of the older beige Apple computers:
    [​IMG]

If your skin color is as above or ligher, it is in your best interest to not put down "African-American" regardless of how you self-identify.

8. La Presse

La Presse Due to the fact.... 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Completely false.

9. eb53

eb53

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the input guys. When I had applied to undergrad, I had put African American and when my interviews asked me why I explained and they thought it was a acceptable for me to do so even at the Ivys. So I didn't know if its any different for med schools or not..
    On my original post I didn't mean to say black "origin", as some of my ancestors were in fact black, what I meant by that was my skin color is not. Which is why I wasn't sure.

10. BeMD13

BeMD13 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Is there an option to put "other" and explain? If not, you could still check other and then explain at interviews. That could start an interesting conversation about your family and background.

Reckoner and LizzyM like this.
  11. insertsomeclevernamehere

insertsomeclevernamehere

Psychology Student
    You're African American honey even if you're not "black". YOU originated in Africa. The U.S. is a bigot and seeks to place people in a box based on Phenotypic reasoning which is complete idiocracy because you can be a light skinned african just as someone can be a dark skinned indian. Black people are the only people grouped by skin color, everyone else is grouped by nationality or ethnic origin. It's apart of the systematic racism.

These people who are telling you what you are..... don't listen to them! YOU classify yourself! Do NOT let them classify you. It's discrimination and oppression. I'm mixed; African, Spanish , French, Native American, Romanian, Finnish, Orkney, and Russian and I prefer to be called such. My ancestors may have originated in Africa, but I'M A PRODUCT OF AMERICAN HISTORY.

BE YOUR OWN PERSON!

capnamerica and eb53 like this.
  12. bluespoon

bluespoon

Last edited: 05.15.14
  13. buttercup12

buttercup12 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 03.07.16
  14. Reckoner

Reckoner Lacks theology and geometry Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    This is both false and bad advice. LizzyM's and BeMD13's answers above are about as good as you're going to get from this thread, OP.

15. insertsomeclevernamehere

insertsomeclevernamehere

Psychology Student
    Not in my opinion. An African American is a person who migrated from Africa to America. My ancestors didn't migrate here they were forced to come here and turned in to Americans. They helped build these states, and contributed much to American society even as slaves. Therefore, the descendants of enslaved blacks, are AMERICANS... in my books, not AFRICAN-AMERICANS. We are apart of THIS culture.

16. insertsomeclevernamehere

insertsomeclevernamehere

Psychology Student
    how is it false?

17. buttercup12

buttercup12 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 03.07.16

About the ads