Questions regarding transcript submission...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twonie22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the story is ... In 2008 I started as a fresher in a university in the UK but due to certain circumstances, failed and left. Since then I have reapplied to univeristies in the US and was accepted for fall 2010 as a freshman (not a transfer as my first year at the UK university was completely disregarded)

I am hoping to start anew at this univeristy as a pre-med. My question is, when applying to medical schools, will I be required to submit my transcript from my previous UK university...which doesn't contribute any grades to my four pre-med years at this new university.

Also, I have looked throught the AMCAS website and understand that only transcripts from colleges in US and Canada are require for the primary application. Is my understanding correct? What about the secondary application; will I be asked to list all university I have attended , including this one in the UK?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, this seems like a gray area and you may want to call AMCAS or even specific schools to confirm. The rules always seem to be more complicated for international students.

I wanted to say though that I don't think that a bad transcript from your first school will necessarily hurt your chances at med school. I have consistently heard that med schools like to see an upward trend in your grades if you've done badly, so do well with your second chance. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies.

Armybound, would it be required in the secondary applications specific to each university? I don't have access to those so I can't see for myself. However the AMCAS application itself states that the transcript won't be required ,as I understand it at least.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/transcripts.htm (referring to no.7)

As I suspected there seems to be some complications with my case and so I guess this will be something I will have to work with with my pre-med adviser once term starts to make the best out of the situation with the previous failure. Thanks for your kind encouragement TarheelMD.

Thank you for the replies.

Armybound, would it be required in the secondary applications specific to each university? I don't have access to those so I can't see for myself. However the AMCAS application itself states that the transcript won't be required ,as I understand it at least.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/transcripts.htm (referring to no.7)

As I suspected there seems to be some complications with my case and so I guess this will be something I will have to work with with my pre-med adviser once term starts to make the best out of the situation with the previous failure. Thanks for your kind encouragement TarheelMD.

You should probably contact AMCAS...If AMCAS itself says you don't need to include foreign transcripts, I think that pretty much means you don't have to include that UK transcript. But if you think it could work to your advantage to include it...why not?