questions to ask a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am meeting a DO in the morning and want to make a list of questions to ask him.

I had a couple of things in mind like what he originally thought about DO schools and if it met all his expectations. What he thought was most valuable in applying to DO school and what he learned at DO was most valuable and unique now that he is a practicing doctor.

If he's ever used OMM. if he had any troubles getting a residency.

If anyone has anymore useful questions Id appreciate them. Im not the best at keeping a conversation going sometimes and I would like my time with him to last more than 5-10 mins.

Members don't see this ad.

Try asking him if he ever faced any discrimination at any of his rotations or residency due to the fact that he is a DO vs MD. Also, you could ask him what he thought about the future of osteopathic medicine, and the problems that face medicine in general. It will be good to know these things for your eventual interviews. You could ask him what he thinks about his role in HMO's and his opinions about managed care. Another thing would be to ask him about the abuse of certain narcotic meds, i.e. Vicodin, Percocet, Demerol, Oxycontin, and what osteopathic medicine can do to help remedy the problem of narcotics abuse. This, I think, is a very pressing problem facing medicine today, it would be good to get an opinion from him about this. Hope this helps

The topics you have listed seem like they will do you for at least 10 minutes. Maybe ask the DO what their (his/her) personal philosophy of being a physician is. Is the DO a general practitioner? You may want to ask the DO why they chose that field of practice. Have a good time tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask him if he's having a good day.

Tips from a former career counseling junkie... any time you get the chance to interview someone about their work consider questions like:

What do you like most about your job (ie name 5 things, etc)?

What do you like least about your job?

How long do you see yourself working in this field?

If you had it to do over again, would you do it any differently? Why?

Is there anyone else they would recommend you to talk to?

...as someone else said, ask about insurance, it's an interesting and scary field we're heading into. And most importantly, what do you want to know? Are there things about osteopathy or medcine in general that you've always wondered about? Now's the best time to ask!

Oh, and be prepared to answer some questions yourself. Doc's always like to know why you're there and what your goals are.

Cheers!

Ask him about his family life.
Or her....sorry. I don't know why I assumed it was a him and not a her.