Questions to ASK at the INTERVIEW??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOCHBING

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, everyone says that you should not say "I have no questions" when asked at the end of the interview, but honestly, my mind goes blank with ideas; as simple of a question as it is, its hard to think of a good creative question that will show interest! ANY IDEAS?

thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

I usually ask my interviewers what their personal opinions of the schools are, what they feel is the school's strengths and weaknesses are, etc.

You just want to show that you're trying to find a good fit for you as well, and that you've looked into the school enough to have intelligent questions about it.

How are student concerns addressed? Do the administrators listen to students and make changes to e.g., the school's curriculum? Etc.

How hands-on is third year? Do students get their feet wet or is a lot of shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I ask about the interviewer's background and how they got to their current position or specialty. It provides good insight in general into medicine and can get the ball rolling on more specific questions.

I ask about the interviewer's background and how they got to their current position or specialty. It provides good insight in general into medicine and can get the ball rolling on more specific questions.

Ask where the nearest liquor store is.

Ask the interviewer about him or her. everyone likes to talk about themselves- why did they choose the school? his/her pathway into medicine and what s/he thinks about healthcare today.

Here are some questions I've used:

1) How is the medical school planning to respond to..... (the rising numbers of the elderly, the uninsured/non-insured, global terrorism, you get the idea)

2) If you could describe the medical student body as a whole in one word what would that be?

3) What would the ideal class look like if all the diversity goals were reached?

4) If the particular interviewer wears many hats, you could ask what particular thing they enjoy doing most at this school (if they are happy, they'll go blabbing on forever...)

5) How do you think the medical curriculum will change in the coming months/years?

6) Any overseas opportunities, blah blah

7) how do you prevent physician burnout, blah blah

8) what does this medical school have/offer that others do not blah

Here are some questions I've used:

1) How is the medical school planning to respond to..... (the rising numbers of the elderly, the uninsured/non-insured, global terrorism, you get the idea)

2) If you could describe the medical student body as a whole in one word what would that be?

3) What would the ideal class look like if all the diversity goals were reached?

4) If the particular interviewer wears many hats, you could ask what particular thing they enjoy doing most at this school (if they are happy, they'll go blabbing on forever...)

5) How do you think the medical curriculum will change in the coming months/years?

6) Any overseas opportunities, blah blah

7) how do you prevent physician burnout, blah blah

8) what does this medical school have/offer that others do not blah

These were all very helpful. I will keep them in mind. Much more helpful thanmy post. haha. :thumbup:

Okay, everyone says that you should not say "I have no questions" when asked at the end of the interview, but honestly, my mind goes blank with ideas; as simple of a question as it is, its hard to think of a good creative question that will show interest! ANY IDEAS?

thanks..
You just spent the past several months and filled out your AMCAS, wrote a zillion secondary essays, sweated for LORs, bought a plane ticket and a suit and took time out of your life to come for the interview, and you have no questions whatsoever? :confused: I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, but that really astounds me. Well, if you truly don't have any questions, then you don't have to ask any. Just tell the interviewer no. There is no particular question that you have to ask. These things are pretty specific to the individual person and school. But I really don't understand how someone could not have any questions. I mean, you are going to spend four years of your life (five in my case) at this school. What do you want to know before you sign on the dotted line? The things that I always asked about at interviews were the financial aid, student research opportunities, and questions about how the curriculum works. If the interviewer was a student, I'd ask them about their experiences going there.

Most of my questions at the interview had to do with specific programs at the school I was interested in but about which there was very little information on the website (Ex: The tracks at Baylor... specifically the underserved track and the Humanities program at San Antonio).

If there was any particular thing I wanted to do in school, such as go abroad, I asked about that if the question wasn't answered yet.

Otherwise, the one that I asked at each school was: "What is one thing about the program would you change?"

It was interesting getting the answers since I sometimes had people slide around the question or turn it into a positive.