Questions to ask during inteveriew?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jedimuscle023

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I have an interview at CSPM in a couple of weeks and I'm ecstatic as it is my first and only interview offered to me so far. CSPM is my dream school for a plethora of reasons so I want to make the best impression possible. I've looked at the interview feedback section and have prepared lots of good answers to the questions I'll surely be asked. The only thing I want to know is what are some good questions that I can ask my interviewers? Obviously I want to seem as interested and eager as possible to be enrolled at their university. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody! I have an interview at CSPM in a couple of weeks and I'm ecstatic as it is my first and only interview offered to me so far. CSPM is my dream school for a plethora of reasons so I want to make the best impression possible. I've looked at the interview feedback section and have prepared lots of good answers to the questions I'll surely be asked. The only thing I want to know is what are some good questions that I can ask my interviewers? Obviously I want to seem as interested and eager as possible to be enrolled at their university. Any help is greatly appreciated!
You'll be exhausted by the time you get to interviews at the end of the day (especially after free lunch).

Most of the questions you have may be answered already throughout the course of the day. or by students eating lunch with you.

If you have legitimate questions that have not been answered, ask them.
If you don't have questions, simply tell them "No. Thank you."

You don't get brownie points for trying to look smart.

Be genuine. Be yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously I want to seem as interested and eager as possible
not only seem, but be interested. Genuine interest will 100% shine through every move. Your questions, conversations, attitude and such.

I would definitely have at least 10 questions ready before coming to the school. Most might be answered during the day and some may emerge.

Nobody here will be able to put questions in your mouth; they have to be unique to you and what is important to you.

On one of my interview days, there were 5 of us and we interviewed in turns. Some went out in like 10 minutes and they had no questions to ask and some stayed for around 25-30 and had questions to ask.

Having questions to ask makes conversations flow better and shows mutual interest.

#1 job interview mistake is when people have no questions to ask. This is rude and shows lack of interest. I have interviewed others for employment and know how it works.

Some topics for questions:

1. Research
2. Curriculum
3. Ability to join academics after graduation
4. Combined degrees
5. Clubs
6. Rotations
7. Process to locate rotations and residency placements
8. Student resources
9. Other volunteering and involvement opportunities.

Most can be generally answered throughout your interview day, but you can always come up with more specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like the other responses mentioned earlier. Just be honest and you.

Research the school in terms of anything honestly. You can ask questions about the curriculum, rotations, research, clubs and activities, board pass rates, student life, etc. In my opinion, you should ask questions at any interview because it shows that you have interest in that school and their program. I usually ask questions that I am really interested in for that school.

For example, during the DMU interview, I asked two questions to the faculty member and the 2nd year student: I am planning to do some research during my time here and I am just wondering if I can join through electives or a faculty-advised research from one of the doctors here? My other question was what is popular on the DMU campus that students like to do on their down time?

Notice that these questions that I asked were related to their school and surrounding environment. Just show your interest to that school and they'll recognize it, trust me! A lot of students during interviews panic because they overthink about their responses and questions to ask. Usually, podiatry orientations in the morning calms you down from the interview process and they will provide you all of the information needed about their institution.

Just enjoy your time there and let the process flow. Your interviewing at their institution for a reason. Good luck and hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
"what is a foot?"

But seriously, what others said. Look up the school online and peruse their website quite a bit. Get to know their schedule, residency placement, board pass rate, clinic time and when that starts, opportunities for research, etc. As you delve deeper into their website/program I'm sure some good detailed questions will arise that you are genuinely curious about.

Reactions: 1 users
Board pass rate
- what is their pass rate, how does it compare to the other schools, if it is low, what do they believe the issue(s) are and what is their plan to address them

Residency placement- for those who haven't matched what resources do you provide. They will likely try to brush it off and say 'oh just don't be at the bottom of the class' but press and say that you're not worried for yourself but want to see what the school is doing for their students. "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Tuition- most are comprable but if it is in the higher end ask why they charge slightly more than another school

What is the financial health of the school?

What is the school's greatest weakness? (this is a typical one they ask you so flip the script on them)

A lot of these questions may seem contentious, but you'll make a better impression asking difficult questions. It shows you've invested substantial time and thought into this decision and are not taking it lightly.
Any interviewer that scoffs at these questions should be a red flag- it is there job to be prepared to answer questions of this nature, just as you are expected to answer for the "C" in Organic chemistry I and II.

Reactions: 2 users