Questions to ask pharm school admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCB2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of screening pharmacy schools so that I can apply next year. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of questions I can/should ask? The reason I am posting this message is because there is a plethora of information online at websites such as SDN, Pharmcas, and aacp. I don't want to ask questions that I can figure out with a little bit of diligence. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of screening pharmacy schools so that I can apply next year. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of questions I can/should ask? The reason I am posting this message is because there is a plethora of information online at websites such as SDN, Pharmcas, and aacp. I don't want to ask questions that I can figure out with a little bit of diligence. Thanks!

Your best bet would be to do all u'r research online first since there is a plethora of information on the internet. THEN, if the sites don't answer the questions that pertains to your needs or inquiries, then call the schools specially to find out what you need to know. All schools are slightly different and so are each individual's preference for one school over another, so there's no set of "good" questions to ask them. With a lil bit of diligence and effort, you have a list of questions to ask adcom.

I agree with the last post, and I'd take it a step further. I only (key word is only here) apply to schools after speaking with someone from the university directly. Although you may know the answers to most questions through internet research, by talking with someone in admissions, you can more accurately gauge your chances.

For instance, generally speaking from my discussions with a lot of pharmacy schools, you must have completed at least one Organic Chem and have a PCAT score (if your school requires it) to be considered. There may be exceptions, but you would have to find out about your school. Also, I don't do that well on standardized tests (ie the PCAT), but my GPA is higher than average for most schools. If you ask a generic question like "If I don't attain a 80 percentile composite score" to admissions, you should get an more accurate assessment of your chances. You can ask how much intangibles such as pharmacy experience, having a bachelor's degree (if applicable), etc. factor in their decisions.

What I stated in the last paragraph are examples of things that probably will not be posted on the internet sites, but are helpful in trying to determine which schools better fit an individual.

Word to the wise: Apply early, apply early. From talking to schools and reading posts on here, some students with excellent grades and test scores did not get into programs not because they were late with their applications, but because they waited too long. The only exception to this rule is if your school holds off on reviewing ALL applications until the deadline has passed. But since you will probably be applying to many different schools with different policies, you should apply early to get ahead.