Questions to ask while shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughtfulness

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've been shadowing a family doctor and I'm wondering what questions to ask? I've hit on Euthanasia, Abortion, Malpractice, Med school, etc. What other good questions should I ask a Family Doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy Balls Nick, you got a 41MCAT? Without a course! Wowzers

Shadows don't talk :thumbup:

If the doctor is busy... don't ask him questions... unless its "is there anything i can do to help"

After a difficult procedure, or a tuff patient, its appropriate to ask about what was going on.

On the other hand, doctors are people and like talking about the same things other people like talking about... bring up Amy Winehouse dieing on a massive drug overdose and see if that leads into a talk on drug abuse in patients.

Shadows don't talk :thumbup:

If the doctor is busy... don't ask him questions... unless its "is there anything i can do to help"

After a difficult procedure, or a tuff patient, its appropriate to ask about what was going on.

On the other hand, doctors are people and like talking about the same things other people like talking about... bring up Amy Winehouse dieing on a massive drug overdose and see if that leads into a talk on drug abuse in patients.

This.

Based on the dumb bumps you've been giving your thread: don't be that annoying prick that won't leave the doctor alone.

I talked to one of the docs I shadowed for literally hours throughout the week I shadowed. Mostly just about random stuff but every now and then he'd get serious and give a lot of advice on the business side of things.

Hey, I've been shadowing a family doctor and I'm wondering what questions to ask? I've hit on Euthanasia, Abortion, Malpractice, Med school, etc. What other good questions should I ask a Family Doctor?

Why such hotly debated topics? Are you have informal debates while he/she is seeing patients?

Why don't you talk about politics, religion, the death penalty, and universal health insurance while you're at it...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're good with physiology ask the doctor about what is actually going on. Ask him if the mechanism you learned is applicable etc. Read up some literature about his type of practice and come in prepared. One of the doctors I shadow loves to discuss the physiology behind every case and loves to ask you what is going on.

ex) Doctor: So *****wipe (you, me, any premed...just kidding), what do you think about keeping this hypertensive patient on her 1st generation beta blockers? Mind you, this is an Ob, this woman is 30+ weeks pregnant, and also has had a history of preterm labor

You: Well, I believe the older beta blockers are non selective, so while yes this would help lower her BP, wouldn't this also block the adrenergic receptors on her uterus? I would think we would want to keep her uterus relax? At this point ramble about beta 1 vs beta 2 receptors, newer beta blockers, calcium channel blockers etc.

Every doctor might not want to talk, some might love it. Try to be smart, gauge their reaction. Obviously they know you're not a doctor yet or hell even a resident. If you show some interest though they may take you more seriously or provide you with more opportunities

If you're good with physiology ask the doctor about what is actually going on. Ask him if the mechanism you learned is applicable etc. Read up some literature about his type of practice and come in prepared. One of the doctors I shadow loves to discuss the physiology behind every case and loves to ask you what is going on.

ex) Doctor: So *****wipe (you, me, any premed...just kidding), what do you think about keeping this hypertensive patient on her 1st generation beta blockers? Mind you, this is an Ob, this woman is 30+ weeks pregnant, and also has had a history of preterm labor

You: Well, I believe the older beta blockers are non selective, so while yes this would help lower her BP, wouldn't this also block the adrenergic receptors on her uterus? I would think we would want to keep her uterus relax? At this point ramble about beta 1 vs beta 2 receptors, newer beta blockers, calcium channel blockers etc.

Every doctor might not want to talk, some might love it. Try to be smart, gauge their reaction. Obviously they know you're not a doctor yet or hell even a resident. If you show some interest though they may take you more seriously or provide you with more opportunities

Ive shadowed some doctors who have no f'n clue what the hell the physiology behind some of the stuff their doing it about....

like i asked one doctor, why did you care about the tetanus shot for the guy who got burned.. the doctor was like... idk i just know to ask.

i wish the doc's would explain the physiology behind some of the more interesting stuff to me. :(

I asked my doc about oxidized states of pyruvate in the kreb's cycle but he just kind of walked away from me....

lmao paul you can suck my balls. also ive been asking these questions obviously not during patients but when we're alone in the office working on paperwork.

lmao paul you can suck my balls. also ive been asking these questions obviously not during patients but when we're alone in the office working on paperwork.

It doesn't matter when you ask them. Dumb, irritating people are always dumb and irritating.

Despite what people have been saying, asking thoughtful questions about what you're watching is extremely important.

I'm not advocating interrupting the doctor while he's speaking to a patient. But after you leave the examination room, you should definitely ask questions about what just happened.

With that said, asking questions about politically sensitive topics is probably not the best idea.

Discussing abortion with a doctor while you're shadowing isn't a good idea. But discussing the diagnosis he just came to and why he came to that decision? Absolutely.

lol Nick you think you're some smart hardass? Go lose your virginity then talk you little online queer. 7000 posts? lmfao loser get a ****ing life..

lol Nick you think you're some smart hardass? Go lose your virginity then talk you little online queer. 7000 posts? lmfao loser get a ****ing life..

inb4ban :clap:

No its not you;re all just dumasses that piss people off. NickNaylor literally thinks hes the **** its ****ing hilarious.