1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions to Trinity students or those living in Dublin

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by eg77, Apr 25, 2007.

1. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

So I received the acceptance letter from Trinity last Friday and I'm extremely excited. I paid the deposit on Monday and looking forward to getting started.

So I thought it’d be helpful to start a thread for those going to trinity in the fall. I have never been to Ireland myself and don’t know much about TCD. But there are some in this forum that are current students, and their insight is extremely helpful. For example, Leorl has been an amazing resource on this forum and his comments are much appreciated. So here are some questions that I have:

1. Finances: As a Canadian student, I'm only able to get $150, 000 line of credit, with a max of $37,500 per year. In the acceptance letters they sent me, they said tuition for the first year is 25, 000 Euros. I'm guessing this doesn't include student housing…is that correct?
    2. Does the tuition remain the same for all 5 years...or does it increase / decrease?
    3. Could someone be able to provide us with a range of how much rent is around or on TCD campus. The acceptance letter mentioned student housing, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Where are some of you staying now?
    4. Generally, how expensive is Dublin? How much is a pint of beer? Dinner? Transportation? Are prices comparable to London…cause it’s crazy expensive over there!!
    5. Is there a good public transit system or do most students purchase a car or bicycle?
    6. Is it possible for international students to work in Ireland during the summers? It seems like a good idea to work in Ireland during the summers and get paid in Euros rather than working in Canada where the value of the dollar isn’t as good.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. medgirl20

medgirl20 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Doesn't include housing

Increases every year

www.daft.ie to look at private accomodation
    Living in student accomodation 1st year can be good to get to know people settle in, not have to search for accomodation when you're not in the country.
    You'll generally get a nicer 2 bed place for the same money you'd pay to live alone so knowing people and moving in after first year has it's advantages.

Pint €5
    Dinner depends where you eat, what time etc can eat for €10-20+
    Obviously can get food in college/hospitals for cheaper

Most people are within walking distance initially or bike it traffic is crazy and car tax, insurance and petrol is expensive.

I'm not sure about this I think you're limited to working 20 hours a week however that may be during term time only.

4. Livethedream

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. No, accomodation is a seperate entity from tuition
    3. Trinity has very limited 'on-campus' accomodation and the little it does actually offer is usually reserved for faculty, fellows, scholarship winners, grad. students etc. It does however offer students housing in Rathmines. Rathmines is a lovely, lively, student-friendly part of Dublin, located about 15 minutes from the Trinity campus. Accomodation varies as regards to which building you choose/ size of appartment/ single or shared bedrrom/ en-suite etc. The last time I checked I think it was around 5,500 euro. However there is substantial accomodation closer to the campus for those who are weary about the commute. The area around Christ Church has some wonderful spots, however, I would approach with caution as it is often swarming with drug addicts (I'm pretty sure there is a clinic of some sorts in the area). Smithfield, on the north side of Dublin, has some great, relatively affordable accomodation. However, again, be prepared to encounter some pretty 'rough' people. I would advise first year students to avail of the accomodation at trinity Hall in Rathmines. It allows you to make friends easily and gives you a chance to get to know the city before you decide to rent elsewhere.
    4+5.Dublin is a very expensive city. However, with proper budgeting, I see no reason why one cannot live reasonably comfortably. For example, instead of purchasing coffee from Starbucks every morning bring a flask of coffee instead. This may not be as chic as you would like it to be, but you will save a lot! As regards to transport, Dublin has a brilliant tram system. I bought a second-hand bike when I arrived (I can hear the shouts of disgust!!:oops: ) and i find it really useful. I cycle to and from college everday. The great thing about buying a second-hand bike is that people are less likely to steal it:D
    6. International students are limited as regards to how many hours the can LEGALLY work in Ireland. However, I know a few international students who have worked 'on-the-side' jobs while stuying here. Just find the right employer who understands your situation and is willing to help you out.

Hope this helps!:D

5. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medgirl, thank you so much!! That is really helpful. Here are some more questions :)

1. How much is student housing at TCD?

2. How is the staff at TCD med school? Are the Proffesors generally aproachable and friendly? It would be great to hear some objective views from current students about the learning environment there.

3. At what point in our education do we get practical hospital experience? I know that at Canadian schools, students get hands on practical experience from the first year...is this also the case at TCD?

4. Is there any integration of "Problem Based Learning" in the teaching at trinity? If so, how much of a role does it play in the education?

5. How many students are admitted into the freshman medical class each year? The acceptance letter stated that up to 20 North American students are admitted, but it doesn't mention anything of the total class size.

Thanks again

6. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks livethedream for your response. Regarding the amount you stated for housing, (the 5, 500 Euros), is that for a semester or for the academic year of 07/08 ??

7. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    student housing works out roughly to be just over 500 euro a month, not including the energy charge. If you are a foreign international student you will most likely receive rooms on campus during your final year. 1st year, you'll be in Trinity Halls (rathmines)...which would be about a 40 minute walk, 15 minute cycle. I would avoid buses cuz at rush hours (ie. when you need to go to lecture), they're jammed and skip queues. A few people cycle...others walk or luas. I can really only think of 5 of the international students in my class who actually do cycle, plus some of the Malaysians...it's really not that bad. Although I would not recommend racers as they get stuck on the luas tracks and you can get injured (like I just did).

You can work...20 hours supposedly, but I was working more at some stage without question. I was doing research. The first summer I worked for free and earned a little bit of money through school scholarships/grants. The 2nd summer I continued the project and was paid.

Staff are hit and miss. In preclinical years, everyone's pretty good (except for one particular one in physiology). Anatomy are very helpful, biochemistry are nice too. It starts changing in clinical years. Each school has people you really do not want to do a rotation with who can get nasty. There also are some consultants who are blatantly anti-American. However, there are also quite a few very encouraging consultants with whom you can build relationships with.

I'm not sure how clinical experience is with Trinity now, since I'm the last of the "old school." I believe first years receive some and this is planning on increasing. When I was first/2nd year, we learned clinical skills (ie. simple stuff like bp measuring, some ecg stuff, reflexes) from first year. This didn't take place in a hospital setting. I believe there's more hospital exposure now.

I can't comment on PBL, we were the last year not to have it. I personally do not agree with PBL and am very glad not to have had it. They had a few kinks to work out, but it seems to be running okay now... they do have a significant amount of PBL now, with integrated anatomy/phys/biochem papers.

Each class is usually 120. That's what it should be. There's been problems with overcrowding the classes before. Be aware of this and I hope after our year, they start cutting it back because it's creating huge problems this year. Supposedly 60 Irish, 60 international. 15-20 will be north american (mostly Canadian)

8. Livethedream

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    per academic year

9. fabulositydiva

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys! I have a few questions about getting employment in Ireland as an international student (I'm from Canada). Would I need to get a visa in order to get work there? Also, is it more difficult getting employment as an international student, and if so how much more difficult? Thanks in advance for any replies. :p

10. applepark

2+ Year Member

Non-Student

Hey medgirl20. When you say that the tuition increases every year. How much are we talking about? Gradual in creases or huge jumps. Basically should I be prepared to fork over 40000 euros from the 27000 euros I would pay for first year?

Thanks

11. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Good Q Apple...that would definately change my enthusiasm for going to TCD.

12. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    tuition when i started was 18000. now 25000. that's a 1.4 increase per year

13. applepark

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Leorl, can I ask what year u are in at Trinity?

From what u are saying, you started at 18000 euros and the following year u paid 25000?

If u increased by 1.4 then there is a possibility that we will pay 27000 this year and the following year pay 37800 (thats 1.4 increase). OMG I don't know if I can afford this.

14. leorl

Attending Physician
    I'm just done with final year :). It was 18.000 my first year. 25,000 this last year. Okay, mathematically I did that wrong. It works out as like a 7-10% increase per year. So like 18,000 my first year, around 20000 my second year, 21000 3rd year, etc etc etc. I can't remember exactly what the tuition was. So disregard the previous statement...it's not a 140% increase.

15. JediBookworm

JediBookworm Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had the impression that tuition was fixed for the duration of the course? Looks like I'm wrong.

16. applepark

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    ABP said that tuition was up for review each year and may increase in line with inflation. :scared:

Thanks leorl for your information. :D

17. Fathead Minnow

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    To: Medgirl20, Livingthedream, leorl and any other current Trinity international students

I am currently in the same boat as eg77, in that i also have just got accepted into the medical college at Trinity and recieved the same line of credit. I was curious as to if you would be so kind to answer a few more questions. It is very difficult to get any direction or assistance for such a large, life changing decision when your on another continent, so any information will be greatly appreciated.

1) Back to accommidations, What is the most affordable student/non-student housing available within a reasonable distance to the campus? dodgey or not

2) Is the coarse work overly demanding? How does it compare to University life in North America (if you have attended)? do you have enough spare time to do other things such as get a job for ~20 hours a week?

3) For the senior students, can you do your intern year in Canada? if so, is it difficult to get a position?

4) Most importantly, are you glad you made the choice to study oversea's at Trinity to achieve your life long goal (even if it meant potential short term financial suicide)? Are you enjoying it while you do it? What is the hardest part? and would you do it again even if you got accepted into med school back home?

Like is said earlier... any information would be extremely useful and greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time and imput.

Cheers,

FHM

18. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Questions 3 and 4 are great fathead !!!!

19. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm interested to know how much of the christian / catholic tradition Trinity has kept over the years. To those TCD students: would you call it a Christian University? Just curious

20. medgirl20

medgirl20 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Trinity was established as a Protestant university until 1970 you were excommunicated from the catholic church if you enrolled without special dispensation. It's as much or as little a Christian University as any other university in Ireland.

You can do intern year in Canada if you match there are plenty of other threads on matching in Canada on the board, do a search for them.

21. The "ban" on Catholics was lifted by the College in the early 20th century but it wasn't until the 1970s that Catholics start attending Trinity in increasing numbers once they got permission from the Archbishop of Dublin. Never heard of anyone being excommunicated...that's a bit extreme ;)

22. Livethedream

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to clarify, I am not an international student. I am an Irish student who attended the TCD medical program. During my fourth year I attended electives in both MGH and Johns Hopk.I have finished my internship in Ireland and am working currently working in St.Jame's Hospital. I will be entering in the United States Match system next season.

23. eg77

eg77 Member
    5+ Year Member

For those of you living in Trinity Hall, is there a gym / weight room nearby? Or is there a gym on campus that students can get a membership at? Is it a seperate membership or is it part of the student fees?

24. eggtart

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    guys

how can an international student manages his/her expenses (tuition fees, accomodation, food, etc etc)?

loans?

if it is loans, where can i get more information?

thanks

25. leorl

Attending Physician
    The Atlantic Bridge guys are pretty helpful with loan information and telling you exactly what you need to do. However, depending on how much you need, you may need to supplement with private loans too...in which case, you'd need to find out from your bank or talk to other college students near you how they use private loans. Some people are completely dependent on loans, while others use a mix of parental/spousal help and loans. Plan on spending 25000 for tuition (which will increase), then around 500 per month on accommodation (so 6000) and maybe 500 per month for living expenses (another 6000). Obviously, this increases with things like taking trips, holidays, etc. So maybe overestimate and say 30000 for tuition, and 15,000 for living expenses (and if you don't have insurance, you may want to purchase some for around 450). So that's like 45000 in a year (remember, this is an overestimation...you shouldn't actually need to spend 45000). And that's in euro.

In Trinity Hall there is a tiny little gym which is crap. There is a brand new gym on campus with swimming pool and stuff, but the gym space is actually kind of tiny. It works. I think it'll cost you 70 euro for the year.