Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted801953

When solving biochem/ bio questions, would you write down the pathway/ notes on what is going on or would you highlight main points on the experiment? I would sometimes get lost while reading a long experiment..

Members don't see this ad.

i always highlighted key words that I thought were very important. By highlighting these terms, it blocks out unnecessary jargon and puts my mind focused on that particular subject that the terms are point toward. I considered writing out, but I was sufficient enough at just highlighting and could remember it well enough. Plus, a question may not even ask you about a pathway, its more likely they would ask you about a main concept. good luck on your studies mate

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @bananapielove -

Limited note-taking can be useful for dense biochem pathways because it allows you to capture cause/effect relationships and up/down-regulation using arrows and shorthand, which you can't do when you're highlighting. This can both help you organize your own thoughts on the pathway and allow you to answer questions along the lines of "if you add an inhibitor of A, how does that affect D?" more quickly. You may want to give it a try the next time you encounter one of those alphabet-soup passages. That said, plenty of people have good experiences with highlighting too :).

Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user