• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

coolthang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2001
England
www.warlog.com
Status (Visible)
If a nurse goes to med school, does she miss some years off because of here knowledge?

How long does it take to become a nurse and then to become a nurse manager?

What are good schools?

Now this is an optional section - Pursade me why i should be a nurse instead of a teacher.

Thank Ya! :D

coolthang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2001
England
www.warlog.com
Status (Visible)
•••quote:••• If a nurse goes to med school, does she miss some years off because of here knowledge?
••••I mean 'If a nurse goes to med school, does she/he miss some years off because of here knowledge?'

wsu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2001
detroit, mi
Status (Visible)
cool thang,

I will be starting med.school this fall.

No you do not get any credit or advanced standing because you have been a nurse.

also, keep in mind that you need to fufill the science requirements of 8 semsters of general chemistry, 8 semsters of organic chemistry, 8 semsters of biology, and 8 semsters of physics. There also may be additional requirements for specific schools.

You also need to take the mcat which is offered april and august and the application process starts in june.

good luck.ifyou have questions, you can email me.

About the Ads

tedsadoc2002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2000
AZ by way of NY, NY by way of AZ
Status (Visible)
I think wsu meant 8 semester hours of all of the above coursework, if you are not familiar (noticed that your location is England) with the U.S. system that is approx. 8 hours of class work including labs for 24-32 weeks (I've been out of the undergraduate setting for a while so bear with me). I was a nurse before I went to medical school, though it helps with some of the material in medical school, there is no advanced standing or time off because of previous classwork. Medicine and nursing are taught quite differently and there is a different focus. I taught nursing school, but I was not educated as a teacher, so I cannot help you on that aspect (which one you should choose). Perhaps if you can volunteer one month in a hospital and work with patients and do the same in a school setting, it might help you make up your mind. Good luck with your decision.

aspiringdoc

15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Canada
Status (Visible)
Hello... in need of some advice.....
My goal is to go to medical school and become a doctor. Hence the name, Aspiring Doctor.
There is a two year program locally for the Bachelor of Nursing degree. It is 23 months in total.You must have two years of university( many of the prerequisites are the same as pre med)to enter the program. I am considering doing this, for a number of reasons, the experience with patients, the opportunity to earn a decent living to support myself and help pay for medical school.
I have read though, that some nurses find it difficult to gain entrance to medical school, as in, already having earned a nursing degree, and then applying to medical school to become a doctor.
I mean no disrepect to any nurses on this forum!
Any advice or insight any one could offer would be greatly appreciated. :)

lala1979

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2002
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey there
I am in my 4th year at my UNiversity in teh Nursing program, I have also been taking my pre med reqs along with the 4 years I have been here. I don't think it's not possible, but it is very demanding. Nursing school for your BSN is a LOT of work itself, and then having the drive to finish up other sciences as well. It's a professional school itself. It can be done I hope, if you apply yourself correctly. Don't give up on your goal. Good luck:)
Also, physiology, anatomy, patho, and microbio have all helped me in practice MCAT's. These classes were required for Nursing, had I been another major I may not have had to take them so I think it does help for that. You will have a stong science.

aspiringdoc

15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Canada
Status (Visible)
Actually, this particular program, you need to do two years of university first, to be accepted into the program. I am hoping to do most if not all of my pre med requirements as some of these are what they require as prerequisite and I will have to do them anyway. Then the nursing program is 2 years long. They are the only school in this area that offers the program in a compressed format. It is 23 months straight, with a couple of breaks( which accounts for the month.)
Similar to some schools which have a three year MD program. (It is 11 months per year for three years instead of eight months per year for four.) :( :(
I just do not want this to hinder me with the admissions committees,with them saying, well if you've always known you wanted to be a doctor, then why did you go to nursing school. I have read that a person with other degrees can come across as someone with an uncertain motivation. Not just nurses, but technologists, anybody in another health care job. Which isn't fair, because engineers and carpenters and architects and landscapers apply to med school and get in, and those careers aren't even health related. I don't think there should be a bias, if you want to become a doctor then you should be able to, regardless of what you've done before.

aspiringdoc

15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Canada
Status (Visible)
I din't put those blue faces on my post! My cat walked across the keyboard and must have hit the smiley board

Meeko1452

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2002
Oklahoma City
Status (Visible)
aspiringdoc, I am an RN who worked for about six years before returning to medical school and will try to address some of your questions. First, you asked if being a nurse works against you in you medical school application. That was certainly not the case with me, and I seriously doubt it occurs often, if at all. Med schools (at least allopathic one--not sure about osteo schools) are primarily interested in MCAT scores/gpa, because statistically speaking, these are a good barometer of how you will do in med school (NOT necessarily of how good of a doctor you will be). So bottom line: good MCATs and grades will get you an interview, and once you get an interview you need good interpersonal skills to get accepted.
As far as the BSN program you are speaking of--I love nursing and would not have done my schooling any differently if I had it to do over, but I am not completely understanding why you are wanting to get your BSN. If you are hoping to work your way through Med School, that probably isn't going to happen because med school is really, really demanding. I worked (and still work) SOME, but not enough to significantly decrease my loans. I promise med school will wear you out, and you won't work as much as you may think you will (especially if you have family). So in the two years to get your BSN, you could have a pretty good jump on at least the prereqs for med school. . .Anyway, just something to think about.
Good luck.

aspiringdoc

15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Canada
Status (Visible)
:)
The reasons I was thinking of going to nursing school are to have experience with patients, in a direct care-giving capacity, not just as a volunteer wheeling someone up to radiology.I figured it might help as well, to have a background in the health field, many people have said the first two years are not as overwhelming when you are already familiar with much of the terminology, etc.I also wanted to work up until I go to med school. Sorry if I was unclear, I know med school is very demanding time wise,or if I came across that I meant I could attend med school part time and work in nursing part time. I know the curriculum is full time, and study time on top of that do not allow for much work, except perhaps during breaks, etc. And I would only be picking up a couple of shifts here and there.
Unless I am one of the fortunate few who gets one of those full four year scholarships, I will be relying on student loans and whatever savings I can put away. I would be able to make much more per hour as a nurse than many other jobs.

aspiringdoc

15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Canada
Status (Visible)
Sorry, I re read your post and forgot to add something.
I had mentioned in a previous post that some of the pre reqs for the nursing program are the same as pre med.I need to do those to even get into the nursing program. So I am not doing the nursing program instead of my pre med courses, I'm doing it after. I will take what ever I need for the program, and hopefully any other premed prereqs I need, before I do the two year nursing program.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.