Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the everyones forum and got no replies so I am reposting it. I have a few questions. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

1. how does CO shift the hemoglobin curve?

2. how does CO lead to lipid peroxidation?

3. how will in CO poisioning will bolld gas PO2 may be normal?

4. What is the difference b/w pulse and Heart Rate?

If anyone can help me out, it will be greately appreciated. thank you.:)

Members don't see this ad.

And why do you think nobody posted on it???? Do your own homework.

Originally posted by Jalby
And why do you think nobody posted on it???? Do your own homework.

lol. Applicant, I think Jalby may have a point here.

Alright, I will try and answer some of your questions since I don't feel like studying yet.

1. how does CO shift the hemoglobin curve?
Not sure, but I think that CO shifts the hemoglobin curve to the right by lowering the PO2 around the tissues. See answer 3 for an explanation.
2. how does CO lead to lipid peroxidation?
Don't know.
3. how will in CO poisioning will blood gas PO2 may be normal?
Arterial blood PO2 will remain normal in a pt with CO poisoning because PO2 is a partial pressure of a gas, O2. The amount of oxygen being carried by Hgb will be decreased because of CO binding to O2 sites on Hgb, but the partial pressure of the gas O2 will remain the same in arterial blood. When the blood reaches the tissues, the tissues will try to extract a larger percentage of O2 from the Hgb because of the lower amount of O2 content. This is where I think that the Hgb curve will be shifted to the right. The way to think about it is as if the person with CO poisoning is anemic or has lost a lot of Hgb, because even though the patient might have a normal amount of Hgb, part of the Hgb is irreversably bound with CO and can no longer carry O2 to tissues. So whereas before, a patient had 15 g of Hgb carrying O2 to the blood, the patient with CO poisoning may now have only 5 g of "functional" Hgb to carry O2. That 5g will have the same O2 sat, ~95% as the 15g would have, and the PO2, the dissolve O2 in the arterial blood, will remain the same; but the total amount of O2 in the arterial blood will be decreased because the patient has less functional Hgb.
4. What is the difference b/w pulse and Heart rate?
Heart rate is a measurement of how fast a person's heart is beating. A pulse is a physical exam finding on a patient.