1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by myameena, Nov 27, 2002.

1. myameena

myameena Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all

2 questions for ya:

1.) I read that one should apply to AADSAS before taking the DAT and that way it's done and out of the way, and then your scores can be faxed over to them. This never even crossed my mind? How are ya'all doin it?

2.) When should I be asking the schools for info packets? (I haven't even taken the DAT yet and still have another year of classes - will apply in spring 2004)

3.) I want to find out what schools are more clinical based and what schools are more research based. How can I find this out? Just get the info packet from each school and go through them one by one???

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jam21

jam21 Member
    7+ Year Member

Ill answer your third question. Acutally, I didn't realy know the difference between research based schools and clinical schools until i went to the interviews. I went to like 5 interviews so far and here is what i think.
    Columbia : strong research programs, but not a strong clinical program
    UF/ Tufts / NYU : clinical and offer good research opportunities
    Temple : very clinical !

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    In regards to your first question -- it isn't necessary to apply to AADSAS before taking the DAT. It all boils down to when you take the DAT. If you feel you can fit the DAT in before the AADSAS application is available, then go ahead and take it! If not, then don't wait for the DAT before you submit your AADSAS. Get your AADSAS in, and then you can have your scores sent after you take the DAT.

5. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree with Gavin. However, Gavin took his DAT a couple of days before the AADSAS app became available. However, I submitted my AADSAS the first day and then took my DAT in mid September (3.5 months later). I already had four interviews (Temple, UPENN, NOVA, BU) before my DAT's. So it does work in your favor. Even if I screwed up the DAT I still would have had those interviews, whereas if I had taken the DAT before submitting the AADSAS and screwing up then I probably would not have gotten that many interviews. So to all you future applicants mark June 1 on your calendar and send that AADSAS application in. This is a must if you have taken the DAT or not.

Good Luck.

DesiDentist