Quick book advice from upper level residents and/or experts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarlynVMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm stuck between which of the following two books to purchase (that or both):

1. Tarascon Internal Medicine & Critical Care

2. Internal Medicine On-call

Does anyone have any experience with these books, I know that they don't cross over too much, but if anyone has had any experience with either book, what do you guys recommend? Furthermore, any solid books that anyone can recommend for MICU? This is by far the most daunting block for any intern, what has everyone's experience been like so far?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm stuck between which of the following two books to purchase (that or both):

1. Tarascon Internal Medicine & Critical Care

2. Internal Medicine On-call

Does anyone have any experience with these books, I know that they don't cross over too much, but if anyone has had any experience with either book, what do you guys recommend? Furthermore, any solid books that anyone can recommend for MICU? This is by far the most daunting block for any intern, what has everyone's experience been like so far?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

I had internal medicine on call. I didn't use the book once

well we all aren't as smart as you :cool: jk jk. nice job on the step 3 by the way (saw your scores in the thread). I take it on monday

up to date is where it's at. but if you need a book, the newest IM book from mass gen is always a hit with most people. clear, concise, well organized. wash manual is coming out with a new edition and is great as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks fellas. I'll stick to UTD and Tarascon IM & CC along eith Washington Manual, I like it better than Pocket Medicine, it still has that authoritive, but concise feel to it.

up to date is where it's at. but if you need a book, the newest IM book from mass gen is always a hit with most people. clear, concise, well organized. wash manual is coming out with a new edition and is great as well.

With all the other stuff out there, don't waste your money on IM on call.

I have been looking at Harrison's Manual as well as Washington Manual. Would anyone like to shed some light on these?

Tarascon hospital medicine seems really good after flipping through it. Start internship in 1 month.

Let me just say - I find Lange Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment absolutely brilliant. It also has a very good iPhone app. It contains all the latest evidence (hence they update very regularly). I have also heard very good things about the Wash Manual.