Quick EC questions (high school?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldandapager

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I volunteered at a hospital in high school and shadowed some docs... can I mention this?
2) I was editor-in-chief of my high school paper, and continue to write in college... worth mentioning?

I heard that certain things for the sake of continuity are fair game, but would this apply in my case?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Please try searching the forums, because this topic has been exhausted.

It isn't recommended if not outright frowned upon, because ad comms would hope that after 4 years you have much more substantial EC activities from your college years.

I don't know if it is prohibited (I highly doubt it, but who knows), but if I were you, I would definitely not list those. It just doesn't look good.

It is not prohibited but it is often frowned upon. A better alternative may be to list your college writing and mention in the free text section of that entry that you had prior experience as editor in chief in HS that informed your college effort on behalf of the paper. Likewise, volunteering and shadowing in college should be the focus of an entry (or two) and you could mention there, or in your personal statement, that you had some prior experience in HS that you built on as a college student (or after college if that be the case).