QUICK-FIRE: OMFS Interview Etiquette Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PorgeToast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this could be a place for applicants to ask some quick questions about what to do or what to avoid as a lot of these interviews are coming up. I'll start with 2 that I've been thinking about.

1 - How can you ask if moonlighting is allowed without looking bad? And if you do ask, who do you ask? Obviously not the faculty, but upper levels or interns?

2 - What is the right thing to wear for the "pre-interview dinner" that is usually the night before? For guys, a slacks and a tie or more casual? For girls, a skirt and a blouse?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I personally wouldn't care if someone asked me (an intern), but I didn't ask about it last year for the same reason you posted. You never know whose toes you'll step on with that kinda question. If you really have to know, ask one of the other interviewees who externed there.

2. What Regmata said.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. You can ask, but very good chance that might be taken as a negative and the most likely response will be that you will not have time to moon light or that you could potentially do it while in Med school

2. A mankini or a bikini.

Do program directors usually ask you about how many programs you did apply to? How many interviews you got? Why did u choose to extern in so and so? Were you invited by programs where u externed?

Do programs ask about what the most recent oral surgery article you read was? If you have not read any how does that look?

None of the programs I visited asked me that question or anything similar. But if you anticipate that question, why not just read an article?

How about science related questions in general? Did it happen before that the interviewer asks the applicant an OMFS related question (anatomy, surgical procedure..etc) to test his basic knowledge?

How about science related questions in general? Did it happen before that the interviewer asks the applicant an OMFS related question (anatomy, surgical procedure..etc) to test his basic knowledge?

Yes, occasionally a program did ask a question to test my knowledge. Definitely not the norm, but I was questioned on the peroneal artery and vertical maxillary excess. Obviously you can't prepare for these types of questions and they're damn rare.

Thanks CMistry for your help.. Not the answer I was hoping for though! But yeah I guess there is no way to prepare for such a thing.

If they ask questions like that, they probably don't actually care if you know the answer, do they? Aren't they more so just checking how you respond to a situation like that? Interesting, though.

If they ask questions like that, they probably don't actually care if you know the answer, do they? Aren't they more so just checking how you respond to a situation like that? Interesting, though.

T,

I thought that was the case too, but in fact it wasn't. Sometimes they really do want to know your knowledge level.

Oi. Thanks for the heads up! Time to blow some dust off the 'ole Netters...haha

Do program directors usually ask you about how many programs you did apply to? How many interviews you got? Why did u choose to extern in so and so? Were you invited by programs where u externed?

Is it better to play down association with other programs or be completely honest? ie: I externed at X bc I heard it was a good program. VS. I lived there for a few years, know one of the residents really well, and really wanted to check out the program.