Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Quick Grammar Question:

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BUmiken12, Jun 17, 2002.

1. BUmiken12

BUmiken12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay, well I just had my PS read by an English grad student here, and they made this correction, but I'm not sure if it's right:

The deft touches on the ball, the aggressive tackles, the "swish" sound as the ball hits the net...

was changed to:

The deft touches on the ball, the aggressive tackles, the "swish" sound as the ball hitting the net...

Is this right? Thanks in advance...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

No verb tense agreement in the later?

4. BUmiken12

BUmiken12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I dunno...that's what I'm wondering

5. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

touches, tackles, hits. All present tense.

touches, tackles, hitting. Isn't hitting present perfect?

6. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BUmiken12:
    <strong>Okay, well I just had my PS read by an English grad student here, and they made this correction, but I'm not sure if it's right:

The deft touches on the ball, the aggressive tackles, the "swish" sound as the ball hits the net...

was changed to:

The deft touches on the ball, the aggressive tackles, the "swish" sound as the ball hitting the net...

Is this right? Thanks in advance...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">what's the rest of the sentence. i think it depends on that. if the ball that is hitting the net then does something else, i think it should be hitting. if the ball just hits the net and nothing else happens i think it should be hit.
    then again, i don't capitalize my sentences and am definitely not an english major...

I just looked at it again. Maybe the english major thought it should be "the "swish" sound of the ball hitting the net"

7. BUmiken12

BUmiken12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

so I did have it right the first time, correct?

8. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

And I don't even know how to spell gramme....errr...grammar.

I think the first one is right.

9. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you were right. The correction does not even make sense. It might make sense to say "the "swish" sound of the ball hitting the net..." These are all noun phrases -- touches, tackles, sound are nouns, not verbs, in this sentence fragment, so there is no question of tense agreement. The sentence presumeably goes on to say something you felt or liked or remembered.... about these things.

Brave of you to try to get adcom members into a sporting frame of mind! :D Good luck!!! :)

10. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BUmiken12:
    <strong>Okay, well I just had my PS read by an English grad student here, and they made this correction, but I'm not sure if it's right:

was changed to:

Is this right? Thanks in advance...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Considering that really none of us notice a difference; I am thinking that when the admission officers read your PS, they are not gonna meet a dead stop at that word and be like "OH MY GOD! There is no way we are letting that guy into our school.. he is using the wrong tense of that word! Bastard!" .. hehe :D

Although I do think that the correct tense is 'hitting'.