Quick Help - Attire for pre-interview dinner with just residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HankReardon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys -

Any advice on attire for dinner with residents? Full suit? Shirt and tie? Just a nice collar? No instructions were given, but I think it will only be residents there.

Any advice? The sooner the better....

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen applicants wear slacks/skirts with a shirt or a sweater to pre-interview events. Have yet to see anyone with a tie/full suit. Seems to be pretty casual, many residents wear jeans and sweatshirts. Doesn't look like anyone cares what you wear the night before, at least at places i have been to so far.

I have seen applicants wear slacks/skirts with a shirt or a sweater to pre-interview events. Have yet to see anyone with a tie/full suit. Seems to be pretty casual, many residents wear jeans and sweatshirts. Doesn't look like anyone cares what you wear the night before, at least at places i have been to so far.

Alright, I'm going with a button-up, tie, and oversweater combo. Maybe I'll loiter outside and give myself the option to ditch the tie. I'm blaming you if it goes wrong@:laugh:

(That emoticon means that I'm just kidding. I hate emoticons, and I'm not really sure I use them properly, so I figured I should explain.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I'm going with a button-up, tie, and oversweater combo. Maybe I'll loiter outside and give myself the option to ditch the tie. I'm blaming you if it goes wrong@:laugh:

(That emoticon means that I'm just kidding. I hate emoticons, and I'm not really sure I use them properly, so I figured I should explain.)

No tie. Seriously...no tie.

hey, no worries dude, i'm really easygoing :D let us know how it goes and whether you ditched the tie!

The best interview dinners are the ones where someone gets naked. I recommend you show up that way.

Ive been wearing jeans and a polo. No one wears ties.

I can only speak for my program (Utah), but.... I think as a whole, and from a resident's perspective, we're looking for people we'd like to hang out with as much as we are looking smart, hard workers. Wear something you'd wear when you're hanging out with friends. If it makes you feel more comfortable, maybe dress it up a little. But just be comfortable, and be yourself.

I'd grow a moustache for the pre-interview dinner but then shave it for the actual interview day.

Where what you would normally wear going out to a descent place with friends. This is about finding a good match at a program. If you want some stuck up formal place, put on your tie. If you are chill and social, wear something in style with a nice pair of jeans. No need to be fake during your interviews.

no tie. clean clothes. button and zip your pants, shirts. :)

Seriously. look casual but nice. More importantly, don't drink alot, and remember, as cool and nice as people are, maintain the thought that it is still an interview. You getting to know tht program and vice versa.

Do not wear a tie. You will be referred to as "that guy who wore a tie to the dinner." And this will not be a complimentary reference. Wear something casual and contemporary - no braided belts, faded jeans. By all means no Ed Hardy's...

Just for anybody following this thread:

All the advice here was dead on (of course). I would have felt really stupid in a tie.

Just for anybody following this thread:

All the advice here was dead on (of course). I would have felt really stupid in a tie.

Even the part about the moustache?

Cuz I agree, you'd win huge points around here.

Hey, I'd grow my 'stache until it connected to my nipple hair if it got me back to Utah.

Officially grosser than anything in the "Things I Learned" or "All-Star Chief Complaints" threads (or most anything in the Lounge for that matter).

But thanks for sharing. And good luck.

Hi Guys -

Any advice on attire for dinner with residents? Full suit? Shirt and tie? Just a nice collar? No instructions were given, but I think it will only be residents there.

Any advice? The sooner the better....

Most books reccomended one of the suits from 'Dumb & Dumber'.

I disagree.

The hush puppies discussion on "Things I've learned from my patients" is the funniest/gross thing I've ever seen.