Quick interview etiquette questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewRA4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a mock nterview tomorrow, so I was hoping to make it count!

1. I've heard that I should not take notes while the interview is responding to questions I ask him--true?
2. Can I cross my legs? I usually do the European leg cross when I sit
3. Pocket square or no? I'm very interested in fashion, so I usually don a pocket square when I wear a jacket, but is this too forward?

Feel free to chime in with any other insights/questions!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Don't know.
2. Sure, though some people would say you want a more "open" body posture. I've heard that, since you're a man, you'd be safer crossing at the ankle than at the knee.
3. I would NOT wear a pocket square. Look good in a tailored suit, but the square is too forward I think.

I don't know the "official" answer, but I am usually put-off/distracted when someone starts taking notes during an interview when I'm speaking. (I have interviewed many candidates for employment; I have NO medical school interview experience.)

1. If you're the one asking questions about the school at the end of the interview, it's fine to jot something down if it's something noteworthy. You write it down if the interviewer mentions a program you might be interested, a person you should contact, a book you should read, etc. Other than those kinds of things, there's really no need to take notes in the room. If you want to write more, I'm sure you can wait 5 minutes and write it down once you're back in the holding tank of the admissions office.

2. Crossing your legs creates a closed body language. Also people usually lean back when crossing their legs, which makes you look lazier. Sit up straight.

3. I know nothing about men's fashion so I can't comment on that! Honestly as a woman and as a former interviewer, I couldn't care less what people were wearing as long as it was a suit and they looked put together. The whole thing about 2 vs 3 buttons or black vs charcoal? I don't notice or care. Maybe some do, but little things like this aren't worth losing sleep over IMO.