Quick Nomenclature question, long meiosis question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dciple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...4 days and counting til game time :(

I just have a quick question about nomenclature, what exactly is the "n" standing for in "n-hexanoic acid"? I know its not Nitrogen or anything like that...if anyone knows that would be great, if not no big deal.

Also, I am having some major problems with meiosis. I understand Mitosis and PMAT and all that good stuff, I even understand that Meiosis II is basically the same as Mitosis. I guess my major problem is with Meiosis I...can anyone explain it better than EK?? Or direct me to a previous thread? I am pretty sure that I understand the difference between haploid and diploid...but can someone please clarify that for me as well?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just have a quick question about nomenclature, what exactly is the "n" standing for in "n-hexanoic acid"? I know its not Nitrogen or anything like that...if anyone knows that would be great, if not no big deal.

This just means it's in a straight line, with no branching.

Also, I am having some major problems with meiosis. I understand Mitosis and PMAT and all that good stuff, I even understand that Meiosis II is basically the same as Mitosis. I guess my major problem is with Meiosis I...can anyone explain it better than EK?? Or direct me to a previous thread? I am pretty sure that I understand the difference between haploid and diploid...but can someone please clarify that for me as well?

since you are using EK i will refer to the books (7th ed). look at page 48 for mitosis, the part of metaphase. see how the chromosomes line up? and then in anaphase, they are split in half. its like this

original cell before s phase: > <
original cell after s phase: X X
after mitosis is done, each new cell: > <

meiosis however is a little different.

original cell before s phase: > <
original cell after s phase: X X
after Meiosis 1 is done, each new cell: X

now you may understand why its haploid and not diploid. it doesnt have the pair of homologous chromosomes, it only has two copies of one of them. meisis 2 is just like mitosis 1 - you are just splitting that X into > and <. in the end, you get 4 cells, 2 are identical to eachother, and another 2 are identical eachother (lets assume no crossing over)

its kind of a tricky concept but i think if you look over page -47-50 a few times, you'll get it. try this also, picture yourself as a chromosome, and your boy/girlfriend as your homologous pair. and see where you guys go during mitosis, and meiosis. after mitosis, you will end up with your pair, or their clone. after meiosis 1, you end up with your own clone. after meiosis 2, you're by yourself. :D