Quick poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• UIC (in-state tuition)

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Rush

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • U of Minnesota-TC (in-state tuition)

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters

PBR727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one? UIC, Rush, or U Minn -TC

Members don't see this ad.

first off, i like money. so i like saving money. and then i go for weather... man... this is too much like an MCAT "cross out the wrong answer" question. ha! but there are a lot of other variables in there. which one did u feel the most comfortable at? any family around. etc.

I would definitely say go for Twin Cities...I was really impressed with their staff and the fact that I would be able to get in-state tuition even though I am an out-of-state applicant. Plus, I really love the fact that the first seven weeks are strictly devoted to Anatomy. Some people say it is overkill, but I would rather concentrate on that and get it out of the way instead of mixing it in will all my other coursework. They also have great opportunities to study abroad, which was a big pull for me to attend, and they can usually find ways to fund your studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get instate tuition in 2 different states?

akpete said:
How do you get instate tuition in 2 different states?

I'm an Illinois resident, but Minnesota offered in-state tuition (I think they do this a lot).

AlaskaGirl said:
I would definitely say go for Twin Cities...I was really impressed with their staff and the fact that I would be able to get in-state tuition even though I am an out-of-state applicant. Plus, I really love the fact that the first seven weeks are strictly devoted to Anatomy. Some people say it is overkill, but I would rather concentrate on that and get it out of the way instead of mixing it in will all my other coursework. They also have great opportunities to study abroad, which was a big pull for me to attend, and they can usually find ways to fund your studies.

I agree that getting through anatomy quickly is a plus… also, their study abroad opportunities aren't too shabby either.

Wow, what a shocker!?!

I think they do give in-state tuition to up to 25 entering out-of-state students a year. I have in-state there as well and it is a huge factor in me deciding to go there! PBR727, if you end up going there you should stay in touch. What do you like about the school vs. the other programs you are looking at?

AlaskaGirl said:
I think they do give in-state tuition to up to 25 entering out-of-state students a year. I have in-state there as well and it is a huge factor in me deciding to go there! PBR727, if you end up going there you should stay in touch. What do you like about the school vs. the other programs you are looking at?

I would like to go to a strong research school (leaning toward Minnesota), but it would be hard to leave Chicago. The pre-clinical years at UIC are pretty rough, but it I figure the clinical experience is every bit as good as Minnesota's, maybe even better. As far as residency match lists go, I would like to match in Chicago...so basically I'm trying to decide between UM and UIC.

PBR727 said:
I would like to go to a strong research school (leaning toward Minnesota), but it would be hard to leave Chicago. The pre-clinical years at UIC are pretty rough, but it I figure the clinical experience is every bit as good as Minnesota's, maybe even better. As far as residency match lists go, I would like to match in Chicago...so basically I'm trying to decide between UM and UIC.

Yeah, that does make it a tough choice. And I do agree that while Minnesota offers up great clinical experience, Chicago also has an amazing hospital system. The perk to Minnesota, however, is that you aren't competing against any other medical schools for rotations....just something to think about....

kind of surprising how many people voted for UIC: is this b/c of weather or because of the quality of school?