BuffaloState1995

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Most medical schools list having 6 semester hours of English as a prerequisite. Would two classes called 'College Writing Program 1&2' (each 3 semester hours) fulfill this prerequisite? I don't know if it helps, but the CWP 2 is also called 'Argumentation and Research'. I am just confused because the abbreviation for the classes are CWP101 and CWP102, not ENG101 and ENG102.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Most medical schools list having 6 semester hours of English as a prerequisite. Would two classes called 'College Writing Program 1&2' (each 3 semester hours) fulfill this prerequisite? I don't know if it helps, but the CWP 2 is also called 'Argumentation and Research'. I am just confused because the abbreviation for the classes are CWP101 and CWP102, not ENG101 and ENG102.
Hey Buf,

Prerequisite requirements are different for each medical school. The long and the short of it is: those two classes may work just fine for some schools... and for some schools they won't.

What you'd need to do is look at your school list and see what each school's requirements are. Sometimes, a school will say something general like "6 credits of university level writing in English", whereas some might say (for which yours wouldn't work) "6 credits of classes from a university English department, exploring English literature".

I'd say in general, you're probably okay, but if you're still in school... it wouldn't hurt to take a course with a little Jane Austen & Daniel Defoe, if you know what I mean.

OP
BuffaloState1995

BuffaloState1995

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Buf,

Prerequisite requirements are different for each medical school. The long and the short of it is: those two classes may work just fine for some schools... and for some schools they won't.

What you'd need to do is look at your school list and see what each school's requirements are. Sometimes, a school will say something general like "6 credits of university level writing in English", whereas some might say (for which yours wouldn't work) "6 credits of classes from a university English department, exploring English literature".

I'd say in general, you're probably okay, but if you're still in school... it wouldn't hurt to take a course with a little Jane Austen & Daniel Defoe, if you know what I mean.
Thank you for your reply, and what you are saying does make sense. For example though, University at Buffalo's website just lists the prereq's as saying "English: 2 Semesters". So I guys maybe the best thing to do is call the school and find out?

Reactions: To be MD

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You can usually find this info on their websites. Some schools will have vague descriptions and accept even social science classes in which essay-writing was a significant component. Other schools will be oddly specific and mention specifically that they want one writing class in the humanities and another in the social sciences. Do a good search of their websites first before you call.