Quick PS Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I described pretty extensively in my Work/Experiences section on my AMCAS about my shadowing experience, and my summer research. Does that mean that I should leave those things out of my personal statement? I thought I should, so I left it out, and actually its better this way, but I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

doctajay said:
I described pretty extensively in my Work/Experiences section on my AMCAS about my shadowing experience, and my summer research. Does that mean that I should leave those things out of my personal statement? I thought I should, so I left it out, and actually its better this way, but I was just wondering.

I was actually thinking the same thing...................

My PS is actually mostly focused on my volunteer experience, so then what am I supposed to put in the work/experience section? I don't want to be redundant. Maybe I should just describe my volunteer experiences in the experience section and write my PS about other things...

I've done alot of missionary stuff, so I talked most about some particular experiences on mission trips that has steered me towards medicine. In my Work/Experiences section, I kind of gave an overall description of who the mission group is, and what we generally do.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctajay said:
I've done alot of missionary stuff, so I talked most about some particular experiences on mission trips that has steered me towards medicine. In my Work/Experiences section, I kind of gave an overall description of who the mission group is, and what we generally do.

Sounds good. I think I'll describe my volunteer experiences as what it is and how it functions, instead of what it necessary meant to me--which I will save for my p.s.

Good plan. Keep the experiences descriptions short and technical. Mine were 3 sentences long (2 describing my role, and one describing why I did it). Significant experiences that meant a lot to you personally should be elaborated upon in your personal statement.

med21 said:
Good plan. Keep the experiences descriptions short and technical. Mine were 3 sentences long (2 describing my role, and one describing why I did it). Significant experiences that meant a lot to you personally should be elaborated upon in your personal statement.

3 sentences--out of a total 1300 characters allotted! I, myself, feel compelled to write a paragraph!

str8flexed said:
3 sentences--out of a total 1300 characters allotted! I, myself, feel compelled to write a paragraph!
Lol, yeah for the experiences that really meant alot to me, I got right up to 1200 characters! But for others, I had like 3 sentences or less.

The experiences section is designed for brief descriptions. If they have questions, they will ask at the interview. If you were on the admissions committee, would you actually have time to read the entire application? Probably not. It's most likely best that you emphasize the most important aspects of the experience so they are not bogged down by the other information. Hopefully, your PS and your recommendations will cover the details. If not, they can ask you at your interview. Hope that helps.