quick q about secondary essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I use to live in the middle east and i wrote about a particular experience in my personal statement.

i want to refer to this experience in a secondary essay. need i mention anything besides "my experience in the middle east"? or should i be a little bit more descriptive?

ie. should i assume the reader has not read my personal statement?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I use to live in the middle east and i wrote about a particular experience in my personal statement.

i want to refer to this experience in a secondary essay. need i mention anything besides "my experience in the middle east"? or should i be a little bit more descriptive?

ie. should i assume the reader has not read my personal statement?

thanks

I am trying to avoid repeating things I put in my PS. I don't know if it's correct, but that's what I'm doing.

I am trying to avoid repeating things I put in my PS. I don't know if it's correct, but that's what I'm doing.

Same. I have a lot of ECs to pick from, so I'm trying to spread them out. I don't want to come off as one dimensional.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe mention about the same experience, but talk about something different from that experience? don't see why that would be a problem

painfully obvious good point.

i'm rethinking what i'm writing.

new question: how are you guys answering "what can you contribute to the school?" am I to write about my character? what i can contribute as a student to other students? to the community?

I don't know if it's the "correct" or "best" approach per se, but I would try to point out what makes you unique. I.e I grew up in the military and moved almost evey year. As a result I have experience with many different cultures and demographics of people. I also had to learn to connect with people very quickly if I ever wanted to have friends. Thus I'm able to make quick connections with people from all walks of life. I have often been approached (even from people I barely know) and told that people just trust me. This would be good as a dr as it may make me more able to connect with patients in a short time and have them feel relaxed/trusting enough to tell me all of the secret and embarrassing info needed in an exam. Find something like that perhaps? Something that really sets you apart from other students/applicants and then say how it can be applied to make you a better physician.
I don't think there's really a "wrong" way to approach it though.

I don't know if it's the "correct" or "best" approach per se, but I would try to point out what makes you unique. I.e I grew up in the military and moved almost evey year. As a result I have experience with many different cultures and demographics of people. I also had to learn to connect with people very quickly if I ever wanted to have friends. Thus I'm able to make quick connections with people from all walks of life. I have often been approached (even from people I barely know) and told that people just trust me. This would be good as a dr as it may make me more able to connect with patients in a short time and have them feel relaxed/trusting enough to tell me all of the secret and embarrassing info needed in an exam. Find something like that perhaps? Something that really sets you apart from other students/applicants and then say how it can be applied to make you a better physician.
I don't think there's really a "wrong" way to approach it though.

thanks that's a great example

maybe mention about the same experience, but talk about something different from that experience? don't see why that would be a problem

This has been my approach.

It's rather difficult not to touch upon stuff mentioned in your primaries. Given the limitations in characters, I don't see how you could have included everything there is to know about all of your experiences. Use the secondaries to expand and provide greater depth to those experiences that meant the most to you.

Glad I could be of some help. ;) Good luck! What schools did you apply to?