Quick Q --- Exogenous Steroids + FSH level?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a note in my book saying that exogenous steroid use will cause LH to drop (makes sense) and FSH would remain normal. I usually write these notes up after doing Qbank problems. I tried looking for that question (w/ explanation) but can't find it...

I'm having some doubts about whether or not that statement is correct..

Can someone confirm this?

The reason I'm unsure is because I know testosterone sends negative feedback to the hypothalamus AND the pituitary. Since testosterone decreases GnRH, I would assume FSH suffers as well...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote a note in my book saying that exogenous steroid use will cause LH to drop (makes sense) and FSH would remain normal. I usually write these notes up after doing Qbank problems. I tried looking for that question (w/ explanation) but can't find it...

I'm having some doubts about whether or not that statement is correct..

Can someone confirm this?

The reason I'm unsure is because I know testosterone sends negative feedback to the hypothalamus AND the pituitary. Since testosterone decreases GnRH, I would assume FSH suffers as well...

Thanks in advance!

As in anabolics? I'd say FSH and LH both decrease. This seems to back that up (bottom of p. 627).

I have the same note written in my FA from uworld as well and haven't been able to figure it out either. :confused:

LH drop with normal FSH is what I would think too.

Mech: exogenous steroids increase testosterone -> neg feedback on LH --> decreased intratesticular testosterone production --> azoospermia and shrunken testicles; since inhibin is unaffected, FSH levels remain normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
LH drop with normal FSH is what I would think too.

Mech: exogenous steroids increase testosterone -> neg feedback on LH --> decreased intratesticular testosterone production --> azoospermia and shrunken testicles; since inhibin is unaffected, FSH levels remain normal.

I think what they were getting at is that testosterone negative feedbacks to both pituitary and hypothalamus. So GnRH should be down too and presumably FSH and LH.

I think what they were getting at is that testosterone negative feedbacks to both pituitary and hypothalamus. So GnRH should be down too and presumably FSH and LH.

Ah, great point! I forgot testosterone can act on FSH and LH. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. This is something I'll have to check with the endocrine ppl. Haha