Quick quesiton about the Psych shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Psych shelf is tommorow. I was just wondering (for those of you who have taken it): are Psychological theories (Psychoanalytical, Behavioral, Cognitive) well represented in the questions? Do they even appear?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Be sure and post what you thought of the exam....I have the Psych shelf coming up in about a month. Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gfunk6 said:
My Psych shelf is tommorow. I was just wondering (for those of you who have taken it): are Psychological theories (Psychoanalytical, Behavioral, Cognitive) well represented in the questions? Do they even appear?

Thanks.
No - it is more about diagnosing conditions based on the DSM criteria. Also some medical differentials like recognizing acute delirium due to sepsis or alcohol withdrawal. You may have to choose a type of psychotherapy e.g. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for certain patient presentations like panic attacks. I used NMS with good results. Good luck.

Gfunk6 said:

Thanks.

There's little of that historical theories stuff. But it is very hard even by shelf standards. Know the dsm backwards and know every psych drug very well. Good luck.

I just took the Psych shelf about an hour ago.

Thanks everyone for their advice!

There were, as other posters stated, absolutely nothing specific about psychoanalytical theories (including ego defense mechanism, various famous individuals in the field, etc).

I agree that knowing the DSM criteria for closely related disorders like GAD, panic disorder, PTSD and such is very high yield. Of course drugs and their side effects are quite well represented.

There were a handful of pure medical questions usually revolving around delrium caused by EtOH, anticholinergic toxicity in the eldery, or electrolyte disturbances.

This was my 2nd shelf exam and I thought it went much better than Medicine which I though was very difficult.

Gfunk6 said:
I just took the Psych shelf about an hour ago.

Thanks everyone for their advice!

There were, as other posters stated, absolutely nothing specific about psychoanalytical theories (including ego defense mechanism, various famous individuals in the field, etc).

I agree that knowing the DSM criteria for closely related disorders like GAD, panic disorder, PTSD and such is very high yield. Of course drugs and their side effects are quite well represented.

There were a handful of pure medical questions usually revolving around delrium caused by EtOH, anticholinergic toxicity in the eldery, or electrolyte disturbances.

This was my 2nd shelf exam and I thought it went much better than Medicine which I though was very difficult.

psych will be my second shelf but I haven't taken medicine yet. Can you elaborate on the "pure medical questions" that you mentioned?