Quick Question About ADSO After Doing Military Residency After GMO Tour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvrgPreMedKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one does a TY -> GMO for 2 years -> 4-year residency -> How much time is remaining on their ADSO? Would they just serve 2 years after residency, or would they incur more obligation during residency? I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not sure what to search for. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If one does a TY -> GMO for 2 years -> 4-year residency -> How much time is remaining on their ADSO? Would they just serve 2 years after residency, or would they incur more obligation during residency? I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not sure what to search for. Thanks in advance.
4 years. 4 year HPSP commitment - 0 years for TY internship - 2 year service + 4 year concurrent obligation for residency (1:1 for military training) = 4 years.

If you go civilian deferred, it's 6, as it's consecutive.

I though civilian deferred incurred no ADSO? I know civilian sponsored is consecutive.

Military residency: served concurrently with HPSP, you would owe 2 years of HPSP served concurrently with your 4 year residency commitment so that would be a total of 4 years served after residency.

Civilian sponsored residency: served consecutively with HPSP, you would owe 2 years of HPSP served consecutively with your 4 year residency commitment so that would be a total of 6 years served after residency.

Civilian deferred residency: no ADSO. Serve your 2 years of remaining ADSC after you complete residency.

The Air Force reference is AFI 36-2107, table A3.1 (and read the applicable notes)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been delaying figuring this out, but now that it's about time for me to go back to GME, I should probably start thinking about this. So in my case, I did 4 years HPSP then internship (neutral year), then 3 years of flight surgery.

1) If I go back to GME and finish a 2 year residency -> would I only owe 2 years?
2) If I go back to GME and did a 3 year residency -> would I then owe 3 years?
3) If I was a GMO and did 2 years in the fleet, and finished a 2 year residency, would I also then only owe 2 years? Did the extra year as a flight surgeon get me less payback or not?
4) What if I did 5 years as a flight surgeon, then did a 3 year residency, I would just owe 3 years, right?
5) If I ended up doing a full time outservice (paid by the military) residency for 3 years, after paying back 3 years as a FS -> do I now owe 4 years?

I'm trying to just figure out all the different options and ensure I've got it all correct.

Thanks

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. The extra year as a flight surgeon does not help you in this situation.
4. Yes.
5. I’m not sure what the payback for full time out service is. I’d defer to someone with experience on the last one.

Last edited: